Has “The Hum” Hit Ontario? Rumblings Researched In Windsor

Has the mysterious "hum" hit Windsor, Ontario?

Just two days ago in the Daily Weird, we reported on the “Woodland Hum”, a mysterious low frequency sound that has been the cause of annoyance for residents of the small English village.

Well, It appears that “the hum” may have found its way to southwestern Ontario.

Windsor residents have so far filed more than 150 complaints with the Environment Ministry, detailing vibrations and a low rumbling noise that sound awfully similar to descriptions of the noises plaguing Woodland.

One man, Dave Robins, told the Montreal Gazette that it had the distinct sound of an idling truck.

“The first few times I heard it, I thought that’s what was going on,” he said. “But when it persisted for more than 30 minutes, I went out to look and it wasn’t a truck.”

The sounds have gotten so hard for residents to deal with, that they have convinced Natural Resources Canada to send in seismic monitoring equipment for a three week run, in an effort to hone in on the source of the rumblings.

Earlier this year, after only nine complaints had been received, the Environment Ministry launched their own initiative to find an explanation to the bizarre sounds. One of their initial calls came from Sonya Skillings, an Essex country resident who told the Windsor Star that she felt like she was “going mental” from the noise.

“It’s in the ground and it feels like there is a subway under the house. It happens at all different times — in the middle of the night, as well. We just want to know what the noise is, it’s just weird that nobody knows. If it’s not the salt mines, then what is it?”

Although possible explanations have previously pointed to turbines, salt mines, airports, or other man-made causes, the Environment Ministry concluded its study in May, ruling out any industrial causes, and refusing to continue its research unless other government agencies got involved.

For more information visit the Montreal Gazette.

1. Judy Glendenning

06/23/2011 at 4:12 PM

Hello Greg! I live in Windsor, Ontario CANADA and just happened to Google “what is the humming in Windsor Ontario” and your site came up too.

From reading your article above, it seems that Woodland England has the same problem. I just happened to hear it again last night, where I live in Windsor. I really don’t know what it is, but it is kind of an eerie sound. We have had the ground shake along with the windows, about 2 weeks ago, but it wasn’t very bad. But this did cause the ground to feel like it was going to open up or something. I really can’t explain it other then this. The humm, oh, I can’t figure it out and it is very annoying if you are trying to sleep.

Thanks for your article. I see we are not alone with this hum, and maybe, other countries have it too. What the heck can it be then? Is the earth changing??? Maybe.

Sincerely,

Judy Glendenning
    Windsor, Ontario CANADA

• Jim Burch

06/27/2011 at 1:45 AM

I hear this about 30 to 40 Hertz low frquency, low volume rattling sound. I live near the Detroit River and just thought it to be passing ships motors. I have not validated that thought by seeing the a ship passing and directly connecting the sound to a particular ship.
      Perhaps it’s HAARP or DUMBs and connecting tunnel’s trains.
      Who knows? It is annoying at night though.
      Jim

06/28/2011 at 12:15 PM

Interesting. Do you ever notice it at a particular time of day? How often does it occur?

• Mike

01/24/2012 at 10:58 PM

Damn – we’ve been listening to this since our arrival to Canada in 2005.. first noticed it in St. Catharines….quite soon it became truly annoying… them we moved to TO and probably because of the low level of different noises it sonehow decreased but after our move to Niagara Falls in 2009 we got a chance to hear it almost every single night… sometimes loud as hell. As if a distant huge motor is working. We tried to find the source several times (one we even stopped by police around 2AM, haha =)… no luck.

06/28/2011 at 12:18 PM

Hey Judy, thanks for popping in! I keep meaning to find someone from Windsor to ask, but how often does it usually occur? I know that in Woodland they’re saying that it happens nightly. What time’s do you usually hear it?

• stri

10/30/2011 at 11:52 PM

I’m from Windsor On, West end and near the bridge.
        Every night this rumbling is happening and is really getting annoying.
        It’s terribly loud and almost seems as though it’s getting louder as the months pass.
        At first, we thought it was a party a few streets over…and then as it became louder we thought perhaps some person bumping music out of their trunk as it does kind of have a similarity.
        Now though…it’s become loud enough that we for a time thought perhaps underground train systems running constantly.

I certainly hope it’s something like that rather than seismic activity due to the salt mines or perhaps something more sinister like tunnels being drilled underground without the knowledge of the city’s citizens.

Honestly I don’t know what it could be, but I certainly would love to find out.
        It’s extremely frustrating to have to endure this every day/night(more so nightly).

If you have any insite, I’d definitely be interesting in reading about it.
        That is if we haven’t fallen into a large sink hole by then :D

Thanks for your time.

2. Allison

07/03/2011 at 6:29 AM

I thought people were Crazy talking about a hum and then last week I heard it. But yesterday it was LOUD !! We had a thunderstorm and I went outside to tape it and when there was no thunder there was a LOUD HUM SCARY !!
    At first I thought it was just new people to the area I actually live outside of Windsor. We have the Windsor salt mines under us so I thought they might have be mistaking the blasts and rattling. But there is no mistake there is a Humm.
    I don’t know where you got the picture but that’s not Windsor Ontario

• Joe

07/04/2011 at 6:06 AM

Hey y’all….I’m originally from Windsor and we were visiting my folks on the weekend and I commented on the hum and my father said it’s been an issue for a while. I quickly thought it may have been HAARP related. If this is occuring world wide, we should be suspicious of government involvment. It’s too common to be anything else. I also thought of the salt mines underneath where the top layer of earth was vibrating like a tuning fork with the bottom layer. Whatever it is…it is certainly causing alot of concern and loss of sleep.

3. Ryan

07/17/2011 at 11:25 PM

Ok im writing from my iphone and its 2 30 in the morning i live in windsor ontario and this is the most this is the most annoying thing you can imagine. Its bee. Going on sonce april a very low pitch hum and vibration. You can also feel it like vibrations source is next to you but if you go outside nothing. My hearing is very good im a younger man and you camnot tell what fricken direction this is coming from. Its been going on since april and i am glad to report it has stoped from being 15 min at a time to like 30 seconds to 1 min. Now are local enviromental ministry could not figure out what the hell it is we have salt mines but i lived here my while life and far from them thats not it and you may read its windturbines i live 30 min from the county there located its not them either. I have no idea what it is im just relayong information i know. Our enviroment ministry gave up on us amd stoped trying to find the source BUT they concluded it was not industrial and please when you read thats its in everyone ear drum take that with a grain of salt you can tell its not coming from inside your head amd you can feel it. Whatever it os alot of people bitched about it and its let down the past month so somebody that is doing this or w/e it isgot the memo to stop it from being 15 min long. Sorry for the rant just flusterated! And sorry for horrid grammar and typing on im iphone at 2 30!!

4. Scott K

07/17/2011 at 11:59 PM

I’m just wondering… I’ve read that low frequency radio signals can cause vibration. Lately there have been quite a few new cell towers going up around the area (I live in Windsor). There’s a new one going up in the county not far from where my parents live. Could the signals from those be “converging” and would there possibly be a build up in intensity? This could be a “junk science” idea. I don’t believe it’s HAARP or whatever. That’s used to find mineral and oil deposits, and possibly to hack the low frequency early warning system that Russia set up in the ’60s (I think it’s possible), but I’ve never read anything that would lead me to believe it’s causing “rumblings”. I’m hearing them tonight, and felt some outside. Very odd.

• Patty

08/09/2011 at 10:51 AM

No it’s not junk science. It is a side effect of non-ionizing radiation. The sound IS THE MICROWAVE AUDITORY OR fREY EFFECT. tHE VIBRATIONS YOU ARE FEELING ARE THE EFFECTS ON YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. tHIER IS ALOT OF REAL SCIENCE TO RESEARCH ON THIS MATTER. tHIS IS WHAT i HAVE FOUND. iT IS CONSIDERED A TRIVIAL SIDE EFFECT THAT DOES NOT EFFECT THE HUMAN HOMEOSTASIS.

PERSONNALY I CONSIDER IT A HAZARD

• jo

10/04/2011 at 7:21 AM

HI
        Can you say any more about this “frey ‘ affect? I lived in LaSalle for years and became very ill and always thought it had something to do with the cell tower i lived next to.
        Thanks

5. Sean

07/18/2011 at 8:49 AM

Hey. I’m visiting my parents in Windsor for the next couple of weeks. I’m glad I’ve started googling this phenomenon. It’s bizarre indeed.

I started to notice this hum effect about a year ago. It happened at night and I thought it was the bass of someone’s party. I asked my parents the next morning and they gave me a funny look and just told me “oh ya, we don’t know what that is, nor does anyone else.” Back then it was slightly sporadic and happened mostly at night.

Throughout the year, as I visited my parents, I would occassionally notice this hum effect. As for my current visit, I’ve been here for three days and have noticed this hum effect on a more frequent basis. The weird thing is that it’s much more intense. Last night, my sister, myself and my parents were watching teleivision and we heard the humming for a few hours. But we ALL noticed it. At around 11pm I went outside on the porch with a glass of water. I noticed the humming again and it was so strong that it caused the water in my glass to vibrate <– just like that scene in Jurrassic Park.

It's extremely hard to pinpoint WHERE the sound is eminating from. My parents live in West Side on Randolph. We thought it was maybe sounds from the bridge but we can hear the sounds from all sides of the house. And we've been here forever and never heard such sounds coming from the bridge. I'm truly miffed by this and am trying to find out more information on this.

• Grauschuh

04/18/2012 at 4:54 AM

Hello!
      The HUM comes from germany.
      Further informations to your amail-adress
      grauschuh@aol.com

6. Franca B

08/01/2011 at 6:28 AM

Thank you for confirming that I am not going crazy. We live in Lasalle Ontarion just off of Malden Road and have been hearing this idling sound for the past few months. It is usually in the evening and we hear it from our lower level Family Room area. Starts at around 8:00 pm right past midnight. Just as been mentioned above- like a truck idling outside. When we go outside we hear nothing. This morning – it started at 8:00 am = and we could hear it upstairs.

I am surprised that more people not concerns and asking our town councillors to look into this more. If it is the Salt mines – could this not be confirmed ? Looking forward to any updates.

• Patty

08/09/2011 at 11:01 AM

LOCAL COUNCILS HAVE NO AUTHORITY OVER THIS MATTER. IT IS COMPLETELY UNDER FEDERAL CONTROL. THEY HAVE ASSUMED THE INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS. TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT PLEASE SEE MAGDAHAVAS.COM AN ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSOR AT TRENT U.

7. Joseph Bova

08/19/2011 at 10:17 AM

After conducting a short, and informal study of the area, I have concluded the following as reason for the low frequency noise issue across the boarder. First of all too many people have logged complaints, therefore it must be a real issue. Second I have noted that several large windmills have been installed that provide a tremendous amount of benefit to the local area. I am certain that these generators where installed by bedding the foundation during construction into solid bedrock, thus creating the necessary transmission path for the vibrations being felt/heard. The amplification of any vibration can differ in amplitude along a given path. Those whom are most affected are simply closer to a hard conductor that connects them with this path. The World is not ending, at least not by these disturbances anyway.

Joseph Bova
    Resident Engineer

• NWO

09/22/2011 at 8:44 AM

Yeah..Yeah!! If your theory held water, don’t you think the Environmental Ministry or Health Canada or our Government would not only know this, but easily offer it up as even a possibility…go back to school and do your science 101 over! You have concluded your short and informal study????? Based on what? Did you start digging, do you have a seismic sensitivity detector? It’s people like you who are soo narrow minded and think it must be something easily explained and more over MORE ACCEPTABLE than the FACT that our government (along with other elite figures), is up to NO GOOD and have been for many, many, many years!! It is that same narrow mindedness that has landed us where we are today. It is because of people like you who never questioned why and what our governemnt and others were up to because you were so content living your simple little life!! People, understand that your governemnt is NOT who you think they are!! Your Government is full of useless and bought politicians!! This world is not what you think it is, people jsut accept the changes,but don’t ask why, an because of this those same elite assholes have gotten away with TUNNELING far under the ground and have been for many years all over the world for many years!! There is a whole NEW WORLD being built right under our feet, they have technology to MELT ROCK PEOPLE!!! WAKE UP!!!!! WAKE UP before it is too late!! Its not a conspiracy theory anymore, facts are everywhere if you look for it and are open minded. A lot of these underground tunnel opening have openeed up to land belonging to Native Americans, whom have tried to enter and have immediately been stopped by official military personnel…WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU …..WHAT ARE THEY DOING UNDER THE GROUND AND MOUNTAINS…..Well now these entrances are not only patrolled heavily but now have huge iron bars on them. Are you seeein git yet! 9/11 was an inside job by its own government!! WHY DO YOU THINK THIS WAS?? Do you really think that a group of men living in a cave with a couple of cell phones pulled that off? ITS our governments people…they have been trying to get rid of you and in the very least make you sick so they can at least make money off you before they kill you with disease, weather phenomenon, food, water andespecially medicine!!!! Look up people do the clouds look normal to you? Do jet trails (crystallization), stay in the sky hanging around for hours, no its no more than 15-16 seconds MAX! So what is it,its chemicals mainly barium and aluminum which is also in your water and food!!! People this is not a consiracy…it is your government who have brain washed you into believing in them and all of there “official offices and departments and services etc…. Its the people who can’t open their minds that are the insane ones, do you really think we live in a perfect country, NO it just seems that way for now…but I promise you LOOK OUT for what is coming, they’re just putting their plans into affect and getting completely prepared by building their HUGE SAFE Bunker world beneath us, so they will have somewhere to go when HELL breaks lose!! What ever it is that they have planned to destroy as much of man kind as possible, whether it be manipulated weather, foreign armies combined with our own US & Canadian militaries – or not, a nuclear bomb or some other kind of advanced weaponry, or an uprise from the people, it is coming…don’t kid yourselves and don’t be one of the stupid ones and not be prepared (well as much as possible with food and water and heat/light and medical supplies). As for the idiot who conducted his own informal study may I suggest trading in your arrogant and presumtuous attitude for a brain!! DON’T SAY YOU WEREN’T WARNED PEOPLE!! PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS TO SPREAD THE WORD BUT ITS IDIOTS LIKE THIS gUY WHO BELIEVES IT TO BE WINDMILLS THAT PREVENTED IT BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T KNOW WHAT IT WAS TO BE A CRITICAL THINKER AND NOT A SOCIALIZED BRAIN WASHED THINKER..THEREFORE CONCLUDING THAT THE INTELLIGENT PEOPEL WHO FIGURED IT OUT WERE THE INSANE ONES!!!!?????? INSANE IS ONE WHO CAN’T THINK OUTSIDE OF THEIR LITTLE PADDED BOX!

• Catia

03/16/2012 at 10:39 PM

well said.

• christina

10/19/2012 at 7:18 PM

totally agreed the nwo is planning some scary stuff not just there under denver airport and many unknown places …….wake up n ftnwo

8. Pingback: Canada: continua il rombo misterioso in Ontario!

9. shelly

09/01/2011 at 1:30 AM

Its now Sept 01 2011….I’m typing from my blackberry…. My location Riveride and Huron Church… ITS about 415 am…I’ve heard deep vibrating rumbling approx 3 times in the past 2 hours, lasting about 2-3 minutes each time. Its nauseating to say the least! Could it not be the bridge, the trucks passing over, or the pillars holding the bridge structure up that are dug deep in the ground? I don’t know much about structure….just a hunch, geeezzz this is odd!

10. shelly

09/01/2011 at 1:55 AM

Ok it just happened again….bridge is all clear, so scratch the bridge idea! :( its was about 0445 am Sept 01. FYI

11. Jon

09/06/2011 at 3:33 PM

Has anyone considered it could be a resonant frequency caused by the ventilation fans in the salt mine?

12. Peter Bishop

09/14/2011 at 6:29 AM

The Hum is the side effect of a dimensional rift that began on May 6th, 1986, the day I crossed over from the other side. The rift is on a great circle ley line that wraps around the world and Windsor is on that line. Other cities with hums are at Fibonacci distances from the line and Fibonacci years from the zero event on the ley line; Huntingdon, U.K.(1987), Largs Scotland(1988), Alburquerque, New Mexico(1989), Taos, New Mexico(1991), Victoria, British Columbia(1994), Kokomo, Indiana(1999), Auckland, New Zealand/Melbourne, Australia(2007). It’s interesting that Windsor doesn’t fit the pattern in terms of Fibonacci years. Something changed. Maybe something started a new cycle.

13. Leon Emmett

09/16/2011 at 11:30 PM

Uh….maybe giant boring machines for boring underground (not so) secret installations and boring connecting tunnels. Duh.

14. nic

10/10/2011 at 2:36 AM

I live on Patricia road right by the university of Windsor, and I hear this rumbling, or low hum every night. I start to notice it when everything else gets quite, this to say that it could be going on during the day, but I just don’t notice it as much. At times it is very loud, and others not so much. It seems to ebb and wane almost as if the wind is carrying it, for example when you are listening to something far away but the wind blows it around so you only hear bits and pieces. I am brand new to the city, and as others have said, when I first heard it I thought it was a truck idling. When I went outside I could see no truck. I thought it might be the bridge as well, but I too went to explore and found that it was just.as loud when there were no trucks at all on the bridge. Gaa! it is so annoying. I will continue to search around, but as others have stated when one tries to find the source it is not possible as I can locate the “direction”. It seems though that when my window is open I can hear it more clearly. Stupid vibrations, I am trying to study! By the way it is about 4 in the morning. i have to go to bed…

15. El Conquistador #3

10/12/2011 at 4:27 AM

If it’s in the 30-40 Hz range it sounds very similar to the so-called Kokomo Hum (36 Hz). It was caused by large fans in a cooling tower: once the fans were slightly modified the Hum disappeared.
    If I remember correctly in another case it was a noise in the 10-20 Hz generated by an industrial grade air compressor. Again once a few modifications were carried out the Hum disappeared.

But in other cases the Hum defeated all attempts to explain it.

During the ’60s the Binkowski’s, a family living near Rotterdam, New York started hearing the Hum. Since the house was isolated, there were no other complaints. As the Hum began to take its toll the Binkowski’s health (frequent headaches, toothaches and earaches and general weakness, all consistent with long term exposure to low-frequency sounds), they turned for help.
    The town police initiated an investigation but, as they lacked the technical equipment and expertise, they proved unable to help.
    General Electric, which its headquarters in Schenectady County at the time, sent some engineers and technicians with sophisticated equipment but they proved unable to record any sound.
    In a final act of desperation Eugene Binkowski wrote to JFK and his brother Bob, asking for help. Help materialized in the form of an USAF technical team which again failed to record any sound. However an USAF physician who examined the family members noticed their symptoms were consistent with long term low-frequency sounds exposure and, after further tests, provided the (unsatisfactory) explanation all family members had an incredibly developed sense of hearing and, as such, they were able to hear sounds even the most sophisticated instruments of the era weren’t able to record.
    That was as far as it got.
    The only lasting cure to the Hum came when the Binkowski’s left their home a year later.

16. marianne

10/14/2011 at 8:44 PM

I live just outside Traverse City Michigan on a small lake. I have heard this low hum for several years. It goes on day and night, sometimes more loudly than others, but when ambient noise masks it during the day it is tolerable. It has disturbed sleep for many nights and I have finally been forced to use a noisy air purifier as it is far less annoying than the low frequency “hum”. I used to think it was a motor boat coming across the lake but it never came closer or waned in volumn and I realized it never stopped….day and night. When I bring it to the attention of others, they have described it as a truck idling, a generator, a leaf blower in the distance….but again, it never stops. It is a noise that once you have “tuned into” it, you can hear it easily, but others can easily tune it out. I am unfortunate that I have excellent hearing, have perfect pitch…and it is affecting my health….lack of sleep and headaches.

• Carm

10/09/2013 at 7:39 PM

Yes I live just outside of Traverse City in a small town 12 miles west of T.C. and I too have been hearing this low pitched constant hum. Not every night. But when it happens it will do it for a few days and then end…its loudest at night but you can hear it during the day if you tune in, but mostly at night. Sounds like it is in the earth…or in the woods, really low hum constant…like a truck idling in the distant. Sometimes it reminds me of the small planes that used to circle the U of M stadium during the games…just a constant engine sound. Then there are days and nights when you hear nothing but the crickets and owls. But the sound gives me a headache and I can’t sleep when it is happening. It does sound like a dull leaf blower or boat motor in the distance. You can hear it outside too, but at night really low inside. Tried earplugs and you still (feel it) and hear it. Just wonder what causes it. I’ve checked all things in the house fridge, dehumidifier etc…and when I turn them off you still hear it so I know it’s not the house. It sounds like it is in the ground.

17. Isabella

10/24/2011 at 9:23 PM

Tonight we don’t have the low bass sound which I mostly hear late at night. Tonight the sound to me (which my neighbours don’t hear), is a
    high frequency continuous hum. I noticed it about 8pm and it is now
    after midnight, and has been non-stop. The closest thing I can think of
    that was even similar, was about 30 years ago when an old TV’s tuner was
    on the way to kaput. I even have a pair of silicone ear plugs which do
    not, in any way stop the sound. And no, I don’t wear a tinfoil hat, nor do I get transmissions from space through my fillings. I’ve just sent an e-mail to whom I hope is the Minister of the Enviornment. I’ve never done something like that before. BTW, I live in Windsor near the river.

18. WERNER

10/29/2011 at 10:00 AM

ABC NEWS REPORT ABOUT MYSTERY HUM : http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=91912&page=1

19. terence binkowski

11/24/2011 at 4:05 PM

just read the story by conquistador #3 I am the son of EugeneBinkowski
    & have alot to ad to it if anyone is interested.
    Scincerily Yours
    Terence L. Binkowski

• Anna Lynn Meloche

06/29/2012 at 7:59 AM

Hi Terence

Could you tell me if you lived near a shipping channel, or waterway, underground mining, or any other natural feature that might be connected??
      I live in Windsor Ontario and have heard a hum for many years, growing up and just accepted it,,as a roar from Zug Island, a US STeel smelter….. However when I moved closer to the river,,the hum vibrated the house and was cyclical making me think it was from the tremendous water displacement of lake freighters passing through the Livingston Channel in the relatively narrow Detroit River…”Detroit in French means narrows…

What complicates the sourcing of this hum here, in my opinion, is that since about January 2011,and moreso since feb 2012, the Detroit River International Crossing Project started work on the new bridge across the Detroit River.. They started clearing land and trees, which may have buffered the “hum” significantly …..Also this area has a salt mine under the City, and a deep storage cavern for propane, ie. a supply depot for the province of Ontario, both under the west end of the city…..not to mention at the turn of the century a suphur spring…. There are many underground features here including a tunnel under the Detroit River and a train tunnel under the river. And finally at the turn of the century salt was extracted from brine wells, locally and one of them collapsed into a sinkhole swallowing the 350 person CIL plant in the west end, (noone hurt).

So I am assuming that modern windmills and cellphone towers had nothing to do with your hum,,, but what was your family’s take on the source of it? Did any of the above things applY?

20. deb kitchen

12/12/2011 at 12:53 AM

I live in hamilton mo and its 2:51 am and I am very irritated by the same sound. This is the first I’ve ever heard it and shocked I actually got a hit when I goggled “humming sound in hamilton mi”

• Dana Newkirk

12/12/2011 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, Deb. Has it been humming non-stop?

21. GR

01/12/2012 at 3:08 PM

Finally found websites about The Hum! I live in an upstairs apartment in Davison, MI, and I’ve been plagued by this low-frequency sound (like a diesel engine idling in the parking lot) for…over 2 years now (didn’t realize it’d been that long!). It seems to be worst indoors, at night, during fall and winter; not sure if the lack of leaves and addition of ice and snow have anything to do with a loss of muffling or increase in volume. Oh, and I only hear it on the right side of my head (not just the ear, it feels like the bone around my ear is vibrating). Does anyone know of any resources available to me, to try to find the source of this? And is it possible that the source is a couple hundred miles away? (I have to admit, when I saw that The Hum happens just across the bridge from Detroit, it set me wondering.)

22. SallyAnn

01/14/2012 at 7:37 PM

I have heard this hum for a few years now. Only last year did I find out that it wasn’t just me. The descriptions were exactly as mine, loud but distant deep droning diesel kind of hum. A constant hum. At first I thought it was some kind of air conditioner or regrigeration unit in a plaza near by, but quickly ruled that out as I realized I hear it everywhere I go. Not just at home. It is not an ear ailment as some have suggested. It’s not a past head injury or mental or physical illness. It really and truly is a sound coming from something in or around this planet. It is an external detectable sound heard in the ears, felt in the head and sensed all around me. I’ve only seen one other person from southern Ontario post and I am interested if there are any more.

23. chuck

01/16/2012 at 9:45 AM

i have heard the” SOUND ” many nights while in bed sleeping. yes it sounds exactly like a big truck idling out on the street. always
    same loudness and same frequency. i do not live in an area that has
    heavy industry. i live in the Minneapolis Mn. area. i have noticed
    this sound for many months .unable to determine its source

24. Shelly

01/17/2012 at 10:51 AM

Minneapolis Mn here. I have been hearing the low frequency hum/rumble for at least a month now. I live by a freeway and the airport. It is not aircraft or cars. I’m vibrating right along with “it” and it is raising havoc with my nervous system. It feels as if it is underneath me. It starts about 3:00 am. Sometimes for several hours and sometimes it goes for days on end. I was so whacked out last Wednesday Jan 11 morning that I got on the Mac real time flight tracker site and searched the net for the rest of the day to see if anyone else in the area was complaining. I did find two articles from the local paper about airport noise and complaints. Keep in mind that most of these complaints are about rerouting of aircraft and I don’t live in their area.I have always lived in the direct path of take offs.Reports of rumbles that don’t go away.

It finally stopped for me Thursday Jan.12 Then the reports from all over the world.

25. charlie grande

01/20/2012 at 7:54 PM

we had the hum in hamilton ontario last night around 3 am for a half hour on and off

26. chuck

01/23/2012 at 7:45 PM

i have a short wave receiver that is tuned to 4.350 Mhz.
    i pick up a strong signal S-9 or better. the audio i hear
    sounds very much like the hum i hear at night while in bed.
    it should be interesting to note that this is a frequency
    that is used in medical ultrasound imaging 3.5 – 10 Mhz.
    it is used because it penetrates the body easily. it is my
    theory that the sub audio modulation that is impressed on
    this Freq. is sensed in the brain. this is why the use of
    ear plugs are ineffective in blocking out the hum.
    i welcome any comments on my thoughts !

27. beez

01/29/2012 at 12:20 AM

Windsor On, its 2:18 just heard the hum about 20 minutes ago been hearing it for a couple weeks. It’s a very eery sound,I was hoping it was just my imagination.

28. SallyAnn

01/29/2012 at 8:59 PM

I live in Pickering Ontario and have heard the hum for the past three or so years. Louder in the last two, and recently louder than ever. It’s really actually starting to get to me. I really don’t think there is anything we can do.

29. SallyAnn

01/29/2012 at 9:03 PM

I forgot to mention, people have said that they hear it sometimes and not other times. For me the hum is constant. Noticed much more when it’s quiet outside. If there is more traffic, people etc, then it’s muffled in the background.”..but it is always there, constantly. Anybody else out this way hear it too?

30. Blue Superior

01/31/2012 at 4:51 AM

Hi- searching the web to find out info on this, have heard it for years and lately it is getting louder. It is not just in Ontario. I have heard it in many parts of the US. Where I reside in Upper Michigan it is extremely loud at this point in time. I actually heard if off a couple days ago and marked it on the calendar, that’s how intrusive this man made whatever has become

• israel

05/08/2012 at 4:17 PM

@ Blue Superior.
      Hey, I was just backpacking in the McCormick Wilderness and heard this EVERY night once the wind had stilled, could also hear it during quiet times in the day. But it was worse at night. My brother, who was backpacking with me, could hear it too. It has really intrigued me. I wondered if it was the new Kennecott mine, but that didn’t seem likely as production is not set to begin until late 2013, and even if I were to speculate that the sound was the distant din of the mine’s construction, it still seems unlikely, owing to the fact that the noise we heard was a constant, monotone, super-low hum (24 hours-a-day, no less). Also, the mine has got to be 10 miles from where we were camping. How could any possible mine-noise travel through 10 or so miles of thick, thick forests and rugged, variable terrain? I got home and look up stuff about ELFs and thought, for a moment, that I found the answer in the US Navy’s ELF facility in nearby Republic, MI. But, it turns out that this facility was decommissioned. What now? Are they lying? (Wouldn’t be too surprised at that!) Some people say that ELFs can also occur naturally…
      Sure has got me curious.

• Tom P

04/02/2013 at 1:37 PM

I heard the low hum in the middle of McCormick Wilderness as well, especially at night. But, I did some bushwhacking and found a source. The dam at the north end of Bulldog Lake. The water pouring over the top makes quite a low pitched roar that carries quite a ways.
        Perhaps that is what you heard.

31. Sly

02/01/2012 at 8:58 AM

I’ve been hearing it since last year… aparently it’s been happening since August… I was away for the summer, and only heard it for the first time in September… A friend of mine found an article a day or two later that said it was a military aricraft being tested, but they wouldn’t comment on it… which could make a lot of sense, the sound is definitely airborne. It makes our windows rattle, and you can feel it.

32. zav

02/07/2012 at 11:14 PM

HEIL!!

33. LionsFan

02/09/2012 at 9:22 PM

I live in Windsor and the city said it was Zug Island but i honselty think thats a bunch of BS….This is what I think 1. Digging Tunnels underground 2.HAARP 3.The Power Plant in Michigan is releasing waste underground or 3. There’s something goverment is hiding because i guess people all over the world is hearing this noise….The noise it’s self doesn’t bother me but the fact the City or Windsor and the Canadian goverment and U.S. Goverment and the state of michigan think we are dumb enough to believle that it’s Zug Island or just a noise that they can’t fix

34. chuck

02/26/2012 at 8:17 AM

here is a follow up on a previous i sent. on 2/ 26/2012 at approx.
    3:30 A.M. i was awake in my home and could not hear the ” hum”
    this is unusual because almost every nite i am able to hear it.
    i turned on my analog SW receiver @ 4.350 MHZ. and heard the signal
    that is always present. this RF signal is best described as a droning
    white noise. the signal at this time was much weaker than normal as
    indicated by my S-meter on my receiver. there is a strong possibility
    that this signal is beeing detected in the brain of many individuals.
    i welcome any follow up to my theory ??

• SallyAnn

03/21/2012 at 8:41 PM

I think your theory is a really great observation. It’s seems logical to me that it could just be the answer. The sound, as audible as it is, is also heard inside many people’s heads at the same time. The fact that it’s always there, muted sometimes by other background noise, heard with ears as well as being sensed or felt. To hear and feel the vibration. Frequency really makes sense. We do t all receive signals the same way, and with all the new wireless communication connections, etc, we have overloaded our airways. I’m convinced.

35. Sandaura

03/12/2012 at 4:39 PM

There is nothing mysterious about the Noise pollution people are hearing across the US, Canada and Uk in particular. It is radiating on the power grid. The high frequencies being used for Broadband and wireless communication. Please read our blog and the posts of victims having to endure this torture 24/7.

If you hear the Tones and or rumbling resonance please contact us.

We are all being stonewalled. The utilities and Regulatory agencies have had numerous complaints filed and they close the cases stating not sufficient evidence or it is not within your authority to act.

36. Catia

03/16/2012 at 10:22 PM

I live in Hamilton, Ontario and ever since I’ve moved here I haven’t been able to get a good nights sleep. I always wake up to a loud humming sound, almost sounds like a train from a distance. I hear right it right now as I type…it comes and goes. Dont know if this has anything to do with the humm you people are talking about or the factory’s around here? It starts around midnight. annoying as hell and bit scary at times.

37. Catia

03/16/2012 at 11:24 PM

it’s super loud….been this loud for at lest an hr ..it’s 2:25am

38. Peter

03/25/2012 at 10:43 AM

I live outside Thunder Bay, Ontario in a small village called Nolalu. Two years ago I started hearing this humming noise especially at bedtime and assumed it to be a skidder(logging machine) engine running far off somewhere. Its not uncommon for guys to run their machines 24 hours a day. But it never stopped even on Christmas etc.. The precise direction from where it originates cannot be determined. Now my wife can hear it too. We keep a fan running at night to take our minds off it. You can feel this vibration in your ears and head. The bedroom walls seems to develope a sympathethic vibration with this bothersome sound when it gets more intense. Other times it simmers down a bit but is still very much there. We are far away in the bush (forest), a long distance from the city.

39. Jamie

04/12/2012 at 9:48 AM

Hi, I live in Sarnia and first noticed this over the past weekend. I first thought it was a ship in the river but it didnt stop. Then I though maybe it was a generator running somewhere. Last night I went out for a walk to try and figure out were the noise was coming from. I am pretty sure it is coming from the west or the river side of town. I dont know if it is noise pollution form the chemical valley or not, I live in the north end of the city a fair ways away from the local industry. It is hard to hear outside because as soon as there is any other noise like a car or street light ballast it gets drowned out. It is also more more noticeable in the house where it is quiet. I tried putting in ear plugs to sleep and it kinda bothered me that the noise became louder and more noticeable one any other noise was eliminated. I was beginning to wonder if it is all in my head!!

40. Sonny

07/08/2012 at 6:28 AM

I just want to point out that there is an app for your phone out there that can be used to send exact location of the hum. The more information that we can gather regarding the exact location, the easier it will be to pinpoint the exact cause of the hums in windsor and surrounding.

Website: http://www.windsorhums.com

41. Isma

12/06/2012 at 3:59 AM

Subject: low-frequency noise caused by the CHP heat and electricity from wind farms

from Italy.

42. Jordan

01/29/2014 at 8:37 PM

I hear this sound every night between 11:30 and 2:00am in Hamilton, Ontario. At first I thought it was a car stereo, a rumbling truck or vibration of natural gas pipes. When you take a live speaker cable and touch something conductive the sound from the speaker is what I hear during the night. The investigation continues.

I encountered the concept of earth rumbles in a book entitled “Our Senseless Toil” by Viktor Schauberger, 1933. Temperatures prevailing in the interior of the Earth are the product of interactions that take place between carbones contained in the Earth and oxygen entrained by infiltrating water. Were the last reserves of highly organized carbones eventually to be totally stripped from the Earth, these interactive processes could no longer take place and the Earth would cool off. Since it is practically impossible to remove all carbones from the Earth however, these cooling phenomena can only occur to an extent commensurate with the severity of disturbances to these inner interactions. These disturbances are caused by the removal of carbones, or by ventilating the Earth. Conforming to natural law, the effects of today’s technological and industrial intrusions into the Earth must therefore lead to the following results:

43. Jordan

01/29/2014 at 8:49 PM

“If various external influences such as bore-holes, deep wells, shafts and open-cut mines, excessive extraction of coal, metals and minerals, all act to inhibit these interactions, they will provoke a cooling of the Earth’s crust. The atmosphere will also cool off as a further consequence. These causes, which ensure an excessive accumulation of oxygen in the atmosphere, must also result in its concentration due to the influence of cold. In the course of time air strata normally subjected to low atmospheric pressure will become heavier in the absence of upward-streaming groups of carbones. These strata will sink downwards, over-saturating both the vaporous and fluid hydrosphere with oxygen. If, having now become over-saturated with oxygen and heavy, this water succeeds in infiltrating into deeper strata of the geosphere, into the carbonsphere for example, then under the prevailing high temperatures the accompanying oxygen will trigger off lively oxidative events.”

“The cumulative effect of these will result initially in localised explosions, eruptions or earthquakes, and subsequently in ruptures of the Earth’s surface. This will provoke the sudden release and elevation of gaseous carbone groups.” (Schuaberger, 1933)