Strange Round Lights Photographed In The Gila Bend, Arizona Night Sky

On November 15th an anonymous photographer captured five images of what looks like three UFO objects suspended in the sky near Glia Bend in Arizona.  The supposed UFO’s were photographed in an arrowhead formation and are distinctly orange in color, sporting a round, orb-like-shape.

The unnamed photographer who originally posed the images on the site azfamily.com, stated in his post that he had been snapping images of the night sky at Gila Bend when the noticed the strange objects floating over the hills in the distance. He managed to capture five images of the strange floating orbs with long exposure, resulting a series of bizarre images that look to be of round orange objects above the mountain ridge.

“My estimation is that the objects were about 20 miles away from my position. They were moving erratically. I was having a hard time capturing them because they were only visible when they lighted up with multiple lights for four to five second at a time. When the light went out, I couldn’t see them clearly,” he wrote.

Shortly afterwards the photographer explained that the orange orb-like-objects in the night sky vanished leaving nothing behind in their wake.

In the last five years Gila Bend, Arizona has had close to 12 supposed UFO sightings alone, and has recently become a hot-bed of activity. Most of the purported UFO encounters are in a similar nature to the most recent sighting. The UFO’s are mainly described as round, red or orange in nature and floating above the ridge.

The small town it seems has embraced their other worldly visitors and few UFO themed stores have popped up with hopes of drawing in excited tourists hoping to catch a peek at the apparent activity. The local sightings seem to be putting Gila Bend on the map as far as UFO enthusiasts are concerned, and with the rash of recent sightings it doesn’t seem to show signs of slowing down.

Dana Matthews
Dana Newkirk is a co-creator and regular contributor to WF? 'Zine. Dana hosted the internationally syndicated television series The Girly Ghost Hunters, which originally aired on the Space Channel in Canada. It was pretty terrible. If you so choose, you can catch the reruns on Sunday mornings around 4:30am on channel 44. Her main interests lie within the genre of vintage fringe, though she has been known to stand awkwardly in the background of many Who Forted videos.
Dana Matthews

1. R Emmet Lee

11/24/2012 at 4:31 PM

They have that “flares” look to them, although obviously they’d have to be a new anti-missile technology to act the way the photographer described. Or they could be will o’the wisp practicing bombing runs for the coming human-fairy war.

2. James Kelly

11/26/2012 at 6:55 PM

These are most likely flares. Gila Bend is right next to the range where units from all over the world drop them for training practice.

I have seen hundreds of photographs like this since I used to be Maricopa County Section Director for MUFON in this county years ago.

• Edward Biebel

11/30/2012 at 10:10 AM

I have to agree with James. I saw a flare drop from I-8 about 15 years ago and it looks quite mysterious until you realize IT IS PARACHUTE FLARES RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME AND SLOWLY DROPPING UNTIL THEY BURN OUT!

3. Brian Oparnica

12/30/2012 at 2:10 PM

They are not flares. I was traveling home on the same day and recorded strange lights on the same evening on HWY 8 W from 7:53:20 pm to 8:45:25 pm.
    Very similar thing happened on the evening of 12/05/12.
    I have spectacular pic’s and videos from 12/05/12. On that day we were taking videos and pictures for 2 1/2 hours. Then again if your super duper top secret cosmic flares can be suspended in the air for two and a half hours then so be it…our jaws dropped over nothing.

• Jason Isanhart

01/23/2014 at 8:25 PM

I have been camping just off the 8 on Sentinel and Agua Caliente and I have saw lights in the south eastern sky multiple nights. One night they seem to be suspended in mid air and the next night they’re moving all over the place ! Weird to say the least !

4. dean

02/22/2014 at 6:12 PM

yeah….I saw them too. I was returning to Gilbert on Tuesday night from Yuma….. I noticed them for about ten minutes. Then two more appeared at a right angle to the first two. Then two flickered out and then reappeared a few minutes later. A few minutes later, I assume that they were two military jets crossed the sky from west to east and as the came closer to the two orange lights, the remaining two disapprated. After a couple of minutes the jets crossed back over the freeway and headed back the direction that they came from. who knows?