Bigfoot Screams Keeping Oregon Reservation Up at Night [With Audio]

bigfootResidents of the Umatilla Indian Reservation outside of Pendleton, Oregon have been having a bit of trouble sleeping lately. You see, the damn local Sasquatch just won’t stop screaming all night.

They’ve been happening for awhile now, and so far, they can only be pinpointed to a marshy swamp nearby, where after dark, the screeches begin, prompting calls to the local housing authority. So far, they’ve already fielded half a dozen phone calls about the Squatch screams, and they’re expecting more.

Josh Franken, the director of the housing authority, told Oregon Live that many locals are afraid to even step foot outside after dark now, recounting the story of a man who believes he may know the cause of the cries.

“This guy was rather scared himself,” Franken said, and mentioned “a rumor that the cries were from a young Bigfoot that had got separated from the rest of his clan.”

While some of the local authorities believe the sounds to possibly be coming from coyotes or foxes, the reservation’s citizens are quick to quash those claims, saying that they’re “woodsy folks” who are well aware of the vocalizations from different animals.

“Foxes do sound creepy,” said Sylvia Minthorn. “But it’s not the same sound, not even close. It’s causing an uproar around here.”

The Blue Mountains area already has a history of Bigfoot sightings dating back to the 60′s, making the thought of a wandering Sasquatch that closer to the forefront of the residents’ minds. In fact, one of the more recognizable stories in Bigfoot lore is that of Pete Luther, who found 19″ footprints while riding his motorcycle through the Blue Mountains.

Colleen Chance, an employee of the reservation housing authority, has managed to capture an audio recording of the howls which she shared with Oregon Live.

“It’s kind of spooky,” she said. “Some say it’s foxes, some say it’s a female coyote and some say it’s Sasquatch. I don’t know what it is.”

If you’re curious, you can download the file here and listen to it for yourself. It’s certainly unsettling, but is it really Sasquatch? We want to know what you think. Tweet us @whoforted, stop by our official Facebook page, or share your thoughts in the comments section below.

In the meantime, we’ll pass the audio along to our own batch of Bigfoot experts and update you on their thoughts soon.

1. mxyzptlk

01/22/2013 at 1:16 AM

Ah… I remember when I used to be lullabied to sleep…

2. David Kibler

01/22/2013 at 9:04 AM

Jan. 22, 1213:

I live in Walla Walla, WA., and not far from the Umatilla Reservation where these strange screams have emanated. I believe in Bigfoot because there have been too many strange sightings. Not only of the creature itself, but also of their foot-prints to be solely discounted as pure fabrication.

In fact, I have an old friend who claims to have once seen the beast while riding his motor-cycle not far from Tiger Canyon in the Blue Mountains.

I believe …! dk

3. 3amfright

01/22/2013 at 1:21 PM

The scream gives me chills. Reminds me of a recording very similar to it over a decade ago in Ohio. I’ve heard many animals calling while growing up in the Appalachians here in Pennsylvania. I don’t know the extent of wildlife in Washington but I know I’ve never heard anything like that.

• Angela shelton

02/11/2013 at 12:02 PM

I would go camping in the appalachians in Pa. There was something really large that went in our camp site and it did not look like a bear. It was more like a huge hairy smelly man. It was looking
      for somethin. It was at our tent breathing heavey! I peeked out my tent and seen him and I was scared out of my mind. I never went camping ever again! It also was amazing to see what I thaught was never real. I’m also a lucky one.

4. Bill Little Eagle Ellison

01/22/2013 at 8:40 PM

O’siyo,the sounds seem as to be a Sasquatch, I saw one in the Forests in Montery County in 1973 Big Sur,California. The sounds would scare the heck out of you.He does exist.I lived in the Rain Forest of Washington State also,and they are there also,they travel up and down the West coast,I did not have a camera at the time,but I always carry one now.They are not known to hurt people,unless you try and hurt them,they do not like humans,as humans try and distroy what they do not understand.We Native Americans are one with Mother Earth and try and understand the things of the Forest and be one with them,the Nature Elements and the Standing People and the Four Legged.I am Cherokee,Manataka.Bill Little Eagle Ellison.

5. Conquistador3

01/23/2013 at 10:33 AM

The sound quality is suspiciously low.
    In 1972 (October 21st to be more precise) Alan Berry recorded purported Bigfoot calls in the High Sierras of California.
    Berry’s recordings, despite having been made with a tape recorder made with ’60s technology, were clear enough to be analyzed at University of Wyoming by Lasse Hertel (who built his MS thesis around these studies) and Lynn Kirlin. Read on for the details.
    I find hard to believe this new recording, which sounds like low-fi generic swamp sounds, can be considered proof of anything. Considering the relatively high quality of modern digital recorders used in cellphones (with pretty sophisticated software available as apps), I am not impressed. If you want to splurge, a minidisc based recorder equipped with a decent microphone (standard bird watching equipment) is not big money and has very high quality.

To get back to the Berry recordings, they sounded nothing like these. The analysis showed the sounds could have originated from a man taller than 6’4″ (based on estimated vocal tract length), or at least something with the same vocal tract structure as man (two vocal cavities) which, if built as a man, would have been at least 6’4″ tall. In short, if Bigfoot exists as commonly conceived, it would sound exactly like in Berry’s recordings.

6. Pingback: UFO’s_Mysteries_Weird Events- Global Cape Breton-Nova Scotia « Global-Cape Breton-Nova Scotia

7. Heroh

01/24/2013 at 1:14 PM

That, my friends, is probably a barn owl screeching. They’re well known for their disturbing night call.
    I could be wrong, why don’t you compare?: (Youtube Barn Owl Screech)

8. Mark

01/24/2013 at 3:58 PM

Mountain lion….

9. Cherie

01/28/2013 at 12:30 PM

Hmmm… the recording seems ambiguous. A Bigfoot with a big toothache, perhaps?

10. nick

01/28/2013 at 3:05 PM

man-bear-pig…..

11. butch

03/19/2013 at 12:47 AM

kentucky cave alien that moved west.

12. KM

03/28/2013 at 6:23 AM

I’d like to see a bigfoot. I live in Walla Walla, so perhaps my chances are good if I head into the Blues to go camping. There’s a book in the public library here (special collection room) Called “Bigfoot of the Blues.” It recounts much of the older history of bigfoot sightings around here.

My ex saw one once, a small one, so probably juvenile, during a camping trip near the rock quarry between Ashland and Klamath falls.

03/28/2013 at 6:28 AM

I’d love to hear more about this sighting your ex had! You know, if that wouldn’t be awkward, haha.

• KM

03/31/2013 at 4:30 PM

My ex returned from a little camping trip one summer morning looking tired and terrified. He and most of the group he was with had spent a large part of the night wide awake and quietly freaking out. I can tell you one thing: he isn’t a very good liar and the others adamantly insisted that this thing happened (except for one, and we’ll get to that). Frankly, if I were going to make up a story, I’d probably avoid some of the atypical details of this account.

There is a rock quarry between Klamath Falls and Ashland (Or.) He went up there with his then girlfriend, his brother, and both of my kids to camp. They had planned to swim but when they got there, met by the foster mother of his brother, there was a large nudist gathering and the nudists were swimming, sunbathing and variously cavorting– you know, just enjoying their clothing-optional lifestyle. That turned into a bit of a fiasco, but that’s different story.

Fast forward to night. All of the nudists have high-tailed it back to town, as it’s way to cold for those shenanigans in the mountains. So, the campers did a little cook out and suchforth as one might imagine. Then they bedded down. I seem to recall that the ex, his gf and my daughter and son were in the tent, while the brother was in the back of the pickup. It had a canopy. They were starting to doze off when they heard something strange. Something was going through the cooler and it reeked. My ex slightly unzipped the tent flap and peered through the gap to see a creature that looked exactly like Bigfoot is usually described, except that it was only about four feet tall. They then took turns peering out of the gap to observe the creature rummaging through all of their stuff. The brother could see it from the window in the pickup canopy but was too scared to look more than once. The whole thing went on for hours, the creature walking around the camp, its fur rubbing against the tent as it passed. It opened the pickup door and took a look around in there, then closed it. It rocked the vehicle a bit, further petrifying the kid in the back. Then, apparently, it lost interest and left, leaving the whole group too scared to venture out until dawn. Well, all were terrified except for my daughter. She slept through the entire thing and was very disappointed in the morning to have missed the excitement.

Now, I wasn’t there, so all I can tell you is what they said. I have no reason to believe they were lying. And as to alternate explanations, I can say that we’ve all lived in the PNW all of our lives and have seen bears. I have to believe they would have known a bear in that close of proximity. So, there you have it. If you want to visit the place where the sighting occurred, one has only to take Dead Indian Road from Ashland going toward Klamath. Just past a place called “Lily Glen” (there’s a sign, I believe as they have horse groups that meet there.) there is a dirt road that goes off to the right and following it a little way in (50 yards, if memory serves) a swimming hole becomes visible on the right side of the road. They camped just back into the woods from the quarry. If you have any further questions you’d have to ask him and if you were to do something like that I’d want to be sure you brought up the nudists because that was seriously funny.

• KM

04/01/2013 at 8:58 AM

Okay, so I just talked to my ex this morning to clarify. He says the thing left a number of times during the night only to return. It seemed to understand that they were in the tent and was circling and circling the tent, touching the fabric as if trying to figure out exactly what it was. My son and ex’s brother were in the back of the pickup and it did push up against the vehicle a number of times as well. They all wanted to leave but were too afraid emerge from the tent since it kept returning and they discussed the fear that if it was a juvenile there might be a parent around that wouldn’t take kindly to anyone annoying it. He still says it was the scariest night of his life.

• MandyK

01/21/2014 at 4:42 PM

my dad has a story in a book called Blue Mountain bigfoot.. He worked at the state pen. in Walla Walla for 36 years him and his wife saw one while driving over a back road from the mountain top.

13. Deborah Coleman

04/19/2013 at 6:51 PM

That does not sound like a fox, or a coyote. Not sure if it’s a Bigfoot, but sure isn’t a local animal.

14. Imvula

04/20/2013 at 3:15 AM

So I heard an owl, and possibly a fox or mountain lion.

15. Vanessa Spencer

06/03/2013 at 9:50 AM

Many native people heard and listen to all the action going on at the Umitilla reservation. Many experienced the sound of a Bigfoot for many years and this sound heard from the Umitilla reservation does not sound near like a Bigfoot. Many who believe & know there traditional ways think it is the evil person itself. Listening to the video sounds ugly & scary being you can hear a evil laugh & some words with it. Elders talked about this & believe thats what they think it is. After being said about this- the elders don’t want to speak of it again.we have many family& friends in PendletonOregon and we pray hard on this for all people. This is what the people wanted me to me say about this. Believe & Pray for all.