Video Shows “Possessed” Ghost Hunter “Smoking” When Hit With Holy Water

holysmokes

Holy smokes! A recently released video claims to show a paranormal investigator having some rather adverse side effects to holy water, a response that the ghost hunters believe resulted from being possessed.

In a clip shot last Halloween, the team at LiveSciFi are shown searching for evidence of the paranormal in Atchinson, Kansas’ own Sallie House, when they decided to attempt an communication with spirits by combining the use of a Ouija board with a famous technique called “The Ganzfield Experiment” (meant to induce hallucinations that some believe are actually psychic impressions). Their results frightened them and led to some interesting footage.

When the subject, Tim Wood, began convulsing in the corner of the house, the team rushes to his side in an effort to snap him out of the trance. Once he regains his composure, the group heads outside to “cleanse” Wood with holy water.

“That’s scary shit,” he says. “I’m, like, freaked out. I don’t want to go back in the house.”

He only got more freaked out when, as his partners drizzled the blessed holy water, his neck began to smoke and steam. The group didn’t waste any time testing the water on themselves, but the reaction was exclusive to Wood. Their conclusion? He must be possessed.

“I felt extremely out of it,” Tim told a user on YouTube. “I actually got sick to my stomach and was throwing up.. I didn’t feel like myself.”

You can watch the video below, but the team warns no one to attempt the experiment themselves under any circumstances as it could “lead to a case of demonic possession”.  I’ll admit that I’m not entirely sold on the event, as live Halloween episodes generally don’t have the greatest track record of realism, but I’m curious as to what you think. Was Tim Wood attacked by the demonic, or was there a simpler reason as to why his skin was the only one to steam? Send me your thoughts on twitter @WhoForted, message me on Facebook, or drop me a line in the comments section below.

1. Henry Paterson

03/25/2013 at 4:48 PM

Taking place in October, a cold night, the man was wearing a heavy jacket and a respirator causing body heat to increase. The back of the neck is a place where the body loses heat rapidly. Different people have different metabolisms and put off more or less heat under the same circumstances. This was water evaporating from body heat into cool probably dry air.

2. Jon

03/25/2013 at 5:21 PM

I’ve had smoke come off my head from sweat rapidly cooling when I used to go dancing at the club all the time. It’s just cool weather, hot skin, and moisture will lead to smoke. I have footage that someone filmed of me because they thought it was all evil and cool looking, but it was a pretty common thing to happen to me. I see nothing unusual about this, but of course it’s for tv so they live in a different realm of reality where common sense no longer exists.

I DO believe in evil spirits, you can call it by any name you like they are out there. The chances of finding them, and actually getting them to interact with us have been rare at best.

03/25/2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m typically skeptical of any “ghost hunter” show to begin with, so my kneejerk reaction is to call bullshit on this – on the smoking neck thing, anyways. Everything else is up to speculation. But as people have explained before (and better than) me, that could be simple evaporation/condensation/whateveration taking place.

4. John

03/25/2013 at 5:49 PM

Is “turn to steam” really what holy water on a demon is supposed to do? If the Holy water acted like acid on his skin and began to eat his flesh…call me impressed, but I don’t think demon hunters carry Holy water for an impromptu spa treatment.

5. Michael

03/25/2013 at 6:41 PM

And this is why I stopped ghost hunting. If these guys had really come across a demon I don’t think holy water would help.

6. Mad Dan Eccles

03/28/2013 at 11:49 AM

Of course, if you want to fake a truly impressive effect, what you do is the little trick used in the old Hammer film “The Brides Of Dracula” – you coat your skin with crushed Alka-Seltzer. The acidic bubbling when the holy water hits you will look jolly convincing! In fact, he water doesn’t even have to be holy. Just don’t tell anybody I told you…

7. alanborky

03/28/2013 at 6:58 PM

Greg I don’t know about the smoke pouring out the guy’s rear that could be hot bodiedness or kundalini or windhorse or whatever but what sets my teeth on edge is the earlier stuff where Hot Neck Houlihan appears to be fainting but is clearly being deliberately shoved back and forth by his two cohorts almost by way of setting up the idea some sort of demonic force is loose in him.

03/28/2013 at 7:01 PM

Welcome to the post Ghost Adventures world of paranormal investigation. The last decade has certainly taken a turn, hasn’t it?

8. Jonathan Johnson

03/28/2013 at 11:02 PM

I was a part of this investigation and I can 100% vouch that nothing was faked. As to whether it’s paranormal, I’ll leave that up to you. All I will say is that we were legitimately freaked out and concerned for Tim. He was not acting like himself, can’t say for sure he was possessed, but something weird was going on. Happy to answer any questions about the investigation, etc.

9. AnoNymous9

04/03/2013 at 10:44 AM

Would’ve been made more credible if they’d have posted the whole take in a single video, and marked their comments in a way that didn’t cut the footage. Also, if they’d have poured holy water on one wrist and regular water on the other wrist; if only the holy water smoked, that would have been credible (and to bolster the case, they could’ve then applied the holy water and regular water to the opposite wrist, to make sure that skeptics couldn’t claim it was the wrists that were different.)

It’s all well and good to say that something felt weird in the heat of the moment, but the fact is, nothing can be concluded with certainty without certainty in evidence. I strongly suspect that a real possession would’ve seemed much more like an inexplicable paranormal encounter than like a case of heat fatigue.

10. Pingback: TV stars say "New Amityville Horror" is a true haunting, investigators disagree | Roadtrippers