Eerie Photograph Shows UFOs Hovering over Washington Residence [Updated]

strangelights

In a photograph straight out of Fox Mulder’s filing cabinet, a Washington man has captured two clusters of crimson lights noiselessly passing over his home on Monday night.

Keller's first image shows a UFO slowly cresting over the houses

Keller’s first image shows a UFO slowly cresting over local houses and into the camera’s view

The eerie image was part of a series of photos snapped by a Battle Ground, Washington man (who didn’t want his name printed) at around midnight.

After snapping the images with his cell phone, the baffled man went inside to show his wife, Nicole Keller, who informed him that he had captured a UFO. He wanted to hear nothing of unidentified space craft, so she sent the images off to the local newspaper, who did their own investigating.

“He was standing outside and saw those strange lights,” Keller told The Columbian. “He said they were going really slow.”

Niether the Federal Aviation Administration nor the local emergency service operators received any reports of strange objects in the sky, but Peter Davenport, director of the UFO Reporting Center in Eastern Washington, said that reports of this formation have been growing.

“I haven’t heard anything from that area,” Davenport told investigators. “But we have received reports the likes of which you described continuously since last June.”

Thanks to their tight formation and uniform brightness, even the local science museum’s planetarium manager can’t seem to figure them out, telling reporters that he does “not think these are necessarily sky lanterns” like the ones that stirred locals up last year.

I’ll admit that, if real, the photo is one of the most striking UFO images I’ve seen so far this year, almost too good. Anyone care to do an analysis on it?  Tweet us @WhoForted, swing by our Facebook page, or leave a comment below and let us know what you make of the images.

UPDATE:

It’s not a hoax! But.. it’s also not an interstellar space craft. Turns out the military is saying “my bad” on this one.

From The Columbian:

The lights were almost certainly part of an Army training exercise by the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, said Tracy Bailey, a spokeswoman for the regiment.

More specifically, they believe the lights were from a CV-22 Osprey aircraft. Or maybe that’s just what they want us to believe. Either way, it turns out it wasn’t the cell phone apps the skeptics would have had you believe were responsible for the craft being “too perfect”, demonstrating that they leap to conclusions just as quickly as the man in a tin foil hat. Turns out, we can all just start blaming the military.. either for creating the sighting, or covering it up.

1. Martin J. Clemens

03/27/2013 at 2:35 PM

I assume that the smaller photo was taken first, wherein the lights were barely visible as obscured by the house and trees. Which begs the question, what exactly did he see that caused him to take out his phone to snap a picture when the “craft” were apparently out of view?

Like you said, if real this is a stunning UFO photo…IF it’s real.

2. Chew

03/27/2013 at 3:22 PM

There’s an app for that. It’s the Camera Hoax app.

• Jon

03/27/2013 at 5:44 PM

It could be an app, won’t be the first time! I tried looking it up and that is possible. I found an article about it online everyone can read for some more background info. The taker of the photo said it was not done with a camera app, oh wait so you know what that is eh? Sounds like a guilty conscience, but without access to the file to view the data it’s hard to say for sure.

Link: http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/mar/27/ufo-photos-spur-out-of-this-world-theories/

3. Jon

03/27/2013 at 3:55 PM

WOW I would sure love to see the exif data to make sure these aren’t fake. This is really good if it’s real and can be looked by someone independent. It reminds me of this very well vetted photo shot. It was determined that this other one does show an airborne object, and the motion blur couldn’t have been faked. The shape is very similar to these! Here’s a link to the photo, but I’m sure you ufo junkies have seen it before. It’s the triangular one halfway down. http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=rv965MflA54RYM&tbnid=hVfKz8KBWjnWIM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ufopictures.info%2Fbest-pictures%2Fpage%2F2%2F&ei=sHdTUYSCCdDLyAGW04DACg&psig=AFQjCNEapMalGBjeaiFEc3XxrVGLkSLAHw&ust=1364511024195432

• Martin J. Clemens

03/27/2013 at 5:39 PM

The photo you’re referring to (in the link) is known as the Petit Rchain photo, taken in Belgium as a part of the famous Belgium Wave mass UFO sightings in 1989-1990. It was analysed by two independent physicists, one of whom discovered a powerful magnetic field surrounding the craft, suggesting some kind of electromagnetic propulsion.

That photo is largely known as the best genuine UFO photo on record.

4. PurrlGurrl

03/27/2013 at 5:26 PM

CGI.

03/27/2013 at 7:02 PM

Crap, these are ‘I want to believe’ photos. Photos that look somewhat convincing and make me think that there’s maybe something out there, and then remind me that we’re living in a world of digital hocus pocus and that anything taken with a camera should be taken with several grains of salt, if not an entire salt shaker.

Bah. Still, I remember when triangular UFOs were a bit thing – way back in the distant past of the 90′s. Maybe it’s a… resurgence?

03/28/2013 at 6:29 AM

You hit the nail on the head. Seeing these photos brought me back to being a kid in the early 90s, reading Time Life Mysteries book on UFOs. It’s precisely the shape of the UFOs in the stories that terrified me while growing up. I can only hope it means we’ll see more of them.

• Coppertop

03/28/2013 at 10:47 AM

Well, if we do, let’s hope the pictures are a bit clearer or that someone grabs some video. It ain’t the 90′s no more – we deserve some HD video footage of these things!

6. Todd Misura

03/28/2013 at 8:22 PM

I’ve noticed over the last fifteen years, or more, that the classical shapes of ufo’s have changed to these orbs, triangles, and lights. They seem to be one step ahead of our current tech. I love looking at photos from the 50′s and 60′s of ufo’s because they were neat, and almost human shaped.

This looks like a hoax to me personally.

7. Freeman Presson

03/29/2013 at 4:56 PM

The Army doesn’t fly the Osprey. The CV-22 is the USAF version, MV-22 for the USMC.

8. Martin J. Clemens

03/29/2013 at 8:10 PM

It strikes me that these “craft” are missing navigation and anti-collision lights. I realise that military craft CAN operate without them, but when flying in formation, usually the lead plane has at least the anti-collision system strobe light on.

The three red lights don’t conform to the navigation light configuration you would expect to see.

9. Kay Hyatt

03/31/2013 at 9:30 AM

We live in Vancouver, Wa and were recently on vacation in CA. We saw this same aircraft during the day out in the middle of the dessert between Pahrump, NV. There were no cars on the two lane road for as far as you could see (front and back). This thing appeared over the crest of the hill headed straight at us. It scared me and I let out a little expletive! He on the other hand was saying cool, awesome etc. My husband very calmly explained what it was. I tell you what, if I had been alone out there, I would have totally freaked out, thinking we were being invaded or something.

He said when he drove truck in eastern WA he had seen them and investigated what they were because they were so similar to aircraft described in a Clancy book he had read.

When I saw the news cast with the picture the guy had taken, I had to call my hubby on the road and let him know…they followed us, ha!

10. Totem

04/12/2013 at 3:31 PM

Reality is stranger than fiction. Skeptics need not apply. Huh?

11. Pingback: Espejos en el cielo: sobre OVNIs, desinformación y creencias materializadas | Pijamasurf

12. Pingback: ESPEJOS EN EL CIELO: SOBRE UFOs, EXTRATERRESTRES Y LAS TRAMPAS DE LA FÉ. | ASTRANS

13. Pole

04/12/2014 at 9:33 PM

The clues are there as to if they were aircraft or not. It was midnight, when it’s quieter than normal yet these large, so called military aircraft made no noise in the night sky? riiight. Especially when you see how close they appear. Such aircraft would be making a hell of a noise that would be heard even if they were miles away. It doesn’t take sherlock f-ing holmes to figure that out.