Highly Bizarre “Cloud Coils” Photographed Over Prince Edward Islands

cloudcoils

These supremely weird, coiled cloud formations were recently captured by a satellite scoping out the Prince Edward Islands. No, not the one in Canada, the ones in the south Indian Ocean. Are they the product of a fast moving craft? The infamous HAARP program? A government weather machine spinning up? Or something else?

The image was taken by the Terra satellite with the MODIS instrument (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) on March 26, 2013. The question on everyone’s mind, though, is what could cause a formation like this? Turns out, it could be this weird thing called a “gravity wave” that sometimes forms between bodies of water and the atmosphere when the conditions are right. Or, it could be, you know.. HAARP.

Here’s an animated image of the same event snapped by a Russian satellite:

What do you make of the clouds? Have you seen any strange formations in the sky recently? We want your thoughts! Tweet us @WhoForted or leave a message in the comments section below. To stay up to date with the latest weird news, like us on Facebook!

1. Pingback: Highly Bizarre “Cloud Coils” Photographed Over Prince Edward Islands

2. Pingback: Highly Bizarre “Cloud Coils” Photographed Over Prince Edward Islands |

3. Pingback: HAARP Weather Manipulation Caught On Satellite - Hip Hop Universe

4. Pingback: Highly Bizarre “Cloud Coils” Photographed Over Prince Edward Islands | This and That

5. Dennis

03/30/2013 at 6:30 PM

A shot at a comment – alas! Someone? Anybody? SOLID BLACK wall of
    “cloud” – for lack of a better description. Try this again.. read carefully.. word-by-word: “… solid (as in solid – not hazy, not diffuse, not foggy), SOLID BLACK (not brown/red, brown/grey, dark/grey or dark blue)… CLOUD. We live at the FOOTHILLS of the Mountains (foot hills). This “cloud” extended from ground level
    up and into the upper atmo. It’s expanse from N to S – as far as could be observed. As if an enormous BLACK SHEET (material) had been stretched – no wavering, no sublte changes in the density of the color BLACK. We live approx EIGHT MILES from the base of this Mountain range. And when first observed? The entire range had been obscured. Disappeared. And the “curtain” was slowly advancing toward us as was obvious as distant buildings and homes instantly disappeared as the curtain passed over them – all the while approaching our home. YEAH… no one believes this, nor can anyone “picture” such an event to the extent of a simple, this simple description. I am NOT the only one to witness this, but no one has an explanation – much less an expressed interest. Pretend YOU (the reader) have taken a nice picture of a Mountain Range from the plains/foothills below. Print. Nice – ok! Now grab a fizz can of glossy black enamel paint and spray over the mountains in your picture until they are completely covered. That’s it. You got it.
    I’m not even going to inquire into replies or suggestions. But this at least gives ME the opportunity to post this re-curring event on a site that seems to delve into similar anomalies. TY

• Kevin

03/31/2013 at 1:09 AM

Sounds as if, somehow, light was prevented from striking the entire blacked out area, making it black to the human eye. Light-bending technology perhaps?

• Dennis

04/01/2013 at 5:21 PM

THANKS, Kevin. In time? I had to sort-out-possibilities as best I could, and an ENORMOUS shadow seemed the most likely explanation (physical appearance, movements, dimensions, etc). GLAD GLAD to hear that YOU (someone else) can logic and put into perspective this event. I do.. really.. THANKYOU. What I didn’t put in my comment? It was nothing short of terrifying. I can’t say I’ve EVER EVER been so overcome with an intangible FEAR – so surrouning and complete – so unknowing – even tho I have (in my time) been confronted with events that spawned different levels of “fear” with “other” unknowns (to day, I might add). THANKS… I don’t feel quite as isolated now. Best wishes… DW

• Peter Traks

03/31/2013 at 11:07 AM

I witnessed something similar to this while on the way to a fishing site in the thumb area of Michigan. I was a sunny day about 30 years ago and I was driving in a flat farming area. There was a straight line border of very dense shade that extended for a long way and the edge of it was also visible extending into the sky. I looked upwards and didn’t see anything that would cast a shadow like that. It was more than just a shadow. It was very dense, and dark looking. Pete

• fb274

03/31/2013 at 7:39 PM

Sounds like one horrific tornado was in your area. Lived in “Tornado Alley” for a few years.

• Dennis

04/01/2013 at 5:38 PM

fb! I too lived in and near a “tornado alley” and for over eighteen years. So.. I’m guessing you KNOW how the skies can turn INSTANTLY – in the snap of one’s finger(s)”… Instantly BLACK and in the midst of what seems a perfectly pleasant and normal day otherwise. Once while driving this occurred. In a nano second could not see the front of my vehicle and the rear end of my vehicle began to lift and shake back and forth. A tornado had actually crossed the road directly behind me. I offer this to you as a token of proof of my words. I TOO considered this possibility – as it took place years after my other tornadic experiences while living in that area. I’m right with ‘ya… considered the same as best I could afterward. But it exceeds and surpasses anything I’ve ever read, experienced and/or heard about concerning tornadoes/skies/conditions, etc. And I thank YOU for confirming a possibility that is a very real one (out of those we believe ourselves to be “familiar” with).
          OH… no reports of as much as a “WIND”.. much less tornado activity (before, during or after) the event, either. Ahhh… my Father retired from “NCAR”.. National Center for Atmospheric Research.” So you know where my interests “lie” :) Skies were “normal”…and NO reports of a renegade BLACK anomaly of any kind either. THANK YOU TOO. Appreciate your time and words. DW

• Dennis

04/01/2013 at 5:27 PM

VERY WELL STATED, Peter… “straight line border(s)”.
        And tho I used the word “cloud,”…it was only in an effort to offer something familiar to readers. The skies NOT shrouded in solid black, like your experience, were also quite clear – making the advancement of this “curtain” (toward us) very clear and defined. “VERY DENSE.” Sounds very much the same, Pete… and I sure am glad you took the time to reply.
        And agreed… “.. it was more (much more) than just a shadow” (to quote you again). Nice to know we’re NOT alone in this! THANKS again…very much. DW

• Dennis

04/01/2013 at 5:41 PM

Oops, Peter. I screwed up – clicked off a reply and “THANKYOU” to you.. but is posted ( I HOPE) beneath KEVIN’s reply. Scroll down to give it a gander. My THANKS again. Sincerely DW

6. Jerry Buice

03/30/2013 at 8:15 PM

On the 20th of February 20th 2009 I was working in Kandahar, Afghanistan. I happen to look up and see rainbow looking clouds…not an arch but clouds. More pinks, blues and purples. I pointed them out to the other 2 guys I was working with and we all agreed none of us had ever seen such clouds. I told them the only place I had ever seen such clouds was on youtube that was taken right before the major earthquake that killed over 100,000 people 2-3 years before. They of course said I was crazy to think the clouds had something to do with an earthquake. The next morning around 5am as I was getting ready for work and reading the news on line, I read that at the same time that we had seen the strange looking clouds, Pakistan had an earthquake! I told the guys I with the day before and they could hardly believe it! The story in the news was it “happen” to be an area where many Taliban had been hiding out….Wow….wasn’t that a coincidence!

• Jerry Buice

03/30/2013 at 8:16 PM

The location was just a couple of a hundred miles ….if that far from where we were at.

• Flucksy

07/06/2013 at 10:43 AM

Those kinds of clouds aren’t all that uncommon. I see rainbow clouds all the time at my house. It’s caused by the light being refracted by the suspended ice molecules in the clouds.

Kinda mundane , but still really cool clouds

7. Guy

03/31/2013 at 1:09 AM

Can you say TTA – Tesla Tech Àrray………

• Sam

03/31/2013 at 7:37 PM

Thank you. Yes! Tesla Tech Arrays

8. Victor V. Vector

03/31/2013 at 11:25 AM

A year ago, I observed a cloud formation in which rows of clouds, spread lengthwise with equal space between them resembling neatly-formed rows in a vegetable garden, were in the sky over McRae, GA.

• fb274

03/31/2013 at 7:47 PM

Were those ChemTrails you were viewing?

9. Kyle Jay

03/31/2013 at 4:35 PM

The dark / blacked out / shaded areas are carbon black nanoparticles, the waves, ripples and coil effects are caused by infrasonic undulation created by TTA Tesla Tech Arrays

• Flucksy

07/06/2013 at 11:28 AM

I’m pretty sure all particals are sub-nano.

10. Steve B

04/01/2013 at 5:07 PM

Can someone scale the image? I want to estimate the wavelength and frequency of these waves. Looks like the power levels required to produce this phenomenon would be enormous!

I’ve been a Ham Radio op since 1960 – let’s sleuth this out!

11. Mark

04/08/2013 at 10:34 AM

These are called Wave clouds. Note they form on the leeside of the island in question and they also indicate severe turbulence. If I saw this (and I am a weather forecaster), I would brief a pilot to stay away from this area. Here is a link that describes this and also includes a picture that is exactly like the one shown on this article.

• flipper

05/14/2013 at 7:42 PM

Look at P.E.I on google earth, there is an interesting “weather station” located on that side of the island. Caught red handed.

• flipper

05/14/2013 at 8:18 PM

40 21′ 0.63″ S 9 52′ 47.43″ W Marion weather station. Check out “panoramio” site, “deon-RSA Marion Station”. four photos.

12. anon

04/13/2013 at 12:26 PM

0:45-0:55 Formation of the spiral structure:

Snapshot of similar experiment:

Basic particle physics on a grand/planetary scale. Applications? Sustainable EMP-like effects on any conductive objects entering the target area, due to production of surface currents and EM induction (read — frying electronics in missiles and planes). Obviously, weather modification as well.

• Cherie

05/22/2013 at 10:47 AM

Mark – absolutely fabulous Boston link. Thanks for sharing it! :D

13. pisflipper

05/14/2013 at 1:05 PM

Could be some sort of sound wave ?

• Flucksy

07/06/2013 at 11:31 AM

Interesting clouds. They kinda remind me of roll clouds and look kinda similar.

14. Elisha Boyas

05/14/2013 at 2:18 PM

Chinese dry-cured hams have been recorded in texts since before the Song dynasty and used in myriad dishes. Several types exist in Qing dynasty cuisine and are used in dishes of stewing hams.

• Coppertop

05/23/2013 at 6:43 PM

… what does chinese ham have to do with weather patterns?