Telepathic Girl Baffles Researchers with Her Ability to Read Minds

telepath

Being autistic, Nandana Unnikrishnan is not like other girls her age. Despite the troubles that come with such a developmental disorder, autism sometimes lends itself to unusual and amazing talents, but never one like this: Nandana is allegedly telepathic.

According to initial testing, it appears that the young Indian girl has the ability to read her mother’s thoughts and emotions with no physical contact, able to pass ESP tests with flying colors, even going so far as to type out entire poems that have been telepathically communicated to her. The results have stunned skeptical researchers like Dr. Phillip John of the Indian Psychiatric Society, who told the Khaleej Times that he believes Nandana’s case is genuine.

“We see several autistic children with savant skills like unusual Mathematical skills, extraordinary memory about calendar days and dates. In such cases, they have access to their memory. In some people with schizophrenia, there is a symptom called “thought broadcast” wherein they believe their thoughts are known to others. It is not transmission of memory. In Nandana’s case, she has access to her mother’s memory and there is a transmission of memory, that too without a medium. This is the first time I am seeing a case like this. Here, we are talking about memory as a function which is why it is very surprising. This is a very rare phenomenon of transmission of memory without a medium.”

Nandana’s parents first became aware of her bizarre talents when they began to notice “unusual coincidences” when it came to her almost premeditated responses to her mother’s thoughts and feelings.

“I used to feel strange when she would come to me and say the name of the food I was thinking of preparing for her”, Nandana’s mother Sandhya, told reporters. “The same way, if my husband and I had decided to take her somewhere, she would know about it without being told about it and would start reacting to it.”

nandana2_25032013Despite her amazing ability, the autistic girl still has trouble grasping certain concepts like words and objects, and has some issues writing and verbally communicating. To help overcome this challenge, Sandhya gave her daughter a keyboard, which she uses to type out responses. This has come with it’s own set of hurdles.

“Now, if I prompt her to type what I am thinking of, she can do that. Sometimes there could be spelling mistakes and she cannot understand the concept of punctuation marks and the space bar. If I say space in my mind when she types the words, she might start typing the word ‘space’ instead of leaving a space between the words,” Sandhya said.

The case has even attracted the attention of Dr. Darold A. Treffert, whose work in the field of gifted children has earned him the reputation of “godfather of savant research”, and even he believes that Nandana’s case is “very convincing”.

“I certainly want to emphasize that Nandana’s case is extraordinarily rare in an already rare condition, but with far-reaching ramifications,” he told the Khaleej Times.

In one test, Nandana and her mother were placed in separate rooms and Sandyha was given a six digit number to glance at. When Nandana was able to type the number with ease, the researchers decided to up the ante, and gave her mother a Grade 2 level poem to read. When prompted, the young girl was able to type the entire poem without issue.

As of now, Dr. Treffert remains amazed, but has urged the family to seek more controlled testing in order to verify claims of the girls extrasensory powers.

“I also want to compliment you on the testing you did to confirm the ability…When it is musical skill, or art, the pieces speak for themselves.  But in this instance the ability needs to be demonstrated by more rigorous testing of the type you did.”

If it turns out that Nandana’s abilities are, in fact, genuine, the implications would change everything we know about how the mind works and the shockwaves would be far reaching in the scientific fields. For now though, what we’re left with is a little girl whose mother is simply interested in answers.

“We want to know how it is possible for her to have this ability and how best we can make use of this for her future benefits or for others.”

Step one: build school for gifted children.
Step two: begin forming the real life X-Men.

So, what do you make of Nandana’s amazing abilities? Is she the world’s first real telepath? Or is there a simpler answer to the mind-reading skills baffling the researchers? Share your thoughts with us on our Facebook page, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a message in the comments below!

1. H. A.

04/09/2013 at 6:15 PM

I wonder how she’d handle the JREF challenge…

2. Pingback: Telepathic Girl Baffles Researchers with Her Ability to Read Minds | Illuminutti

3. Anti-Indiano

04/09/2013 at 11:27 PM

She’s Indian, that’s why. They want to have everything.

• @altafjasnaik

03/17/2014 at 11:14 PM

Hahaha! True. Guess what, we have your attention dear Anti-Indiano, soon we will have everything you have. Mwahaahaahaahaa :-)
      Jokes apart, thanks for filling my lungs with that extra bit of oxygen. Your shallowness gives me and other Indians hope to keep going.

4. Darren

04/10/2013 at 12:14 AM

An exceptionally rare case because her abilities didn’t suddenly evaporate under testing like most psychics

• Eric

04/10/2013 at 9:33 AM

Except no results have been published in any peer-reviewed literature yet. Until they are, this is just another unsubstantiated report of some wunderkind “baffling” some researcher somewhere. Let’s get some reproducibility with some statistically robust methods, and then we’ll talk.

• Andrew

04/10/2013 at 5:24 PM

I think there is a conspiracy of silence in the scientific community surrounding this type of phenomena. I’ve experienced it to much personally for it just to be coincidence or delusion or confirmation bias. I don’t claim to understand it, but this stuff is very real, I promise you.

• Eric

04/11/2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, scientists are always, desperately, constantly trying to suppress the evidence of phenomena that would guarantee them global fame, ridiculous success, and effectively unlimited future funding. Man, the discovery of actual, real, reproducible evidence for any of these paranormal/supernatural/magical things would get whoever discovered it a Nobel prize in a heartbeat. If there is a conspiracy, it is between people who want actual, demonstrable evidence rather than campfire tales and “gut-feelings” about the real world from people with a lot of poorly remembered anecdotes.

• Kurtis Kunesh

04/11/2013 at 5:29 PM

I don’t buy you nonsensical assumptions Eric. Science has been manipulated like every institution of power. Corruption in science is why peer reviewed work is done. If you are ignorant of any agendas it’s because you are culturally biased. As a therapist I see it in all professions including mine. Psychic behaviour is repressed & shunned by various ideological agendas, with religious fanaticism. Today communities don’t threaten to burn a Galileo, they smear his professional reputation. Researcher Dean Radin reveal ample evidence that our academic world is politically influenced especially in areas of national security etc.

• Darren

04/12/2013 at 12:11 AM

I’m not sure if there is intentional supression, but I think it’s quit difficult to get funding or to have work properly peer reviewed when your studying stuff on the fringe of what is accepted science. There is a lot of dogmatism within in science nowadays and most scientists don’t want to be associated with studying these phenomina

• Rashid Ellis

05/01/2013 at 10:34 AM

I’m with Eric. To publish a public record of telepathy carries many implications.

It tells us our brains have access to the EM Spectrum… by other means known to us. We’ll find out when everyone else does whether this is true or not.

• Believer

09/20/2013 at 4:00 PM

Eric, this is the sort of thing that would be used against a scientist for decades. Even considering this in the scientific community would make you a laughingstock, no matter how much clear evidence you have. I fully believe that this is real and makes full sense. The human mind is an extremely powerful instrument that we have barely scratched the surface of.

Signed, A. True Believer

5. Pingback: The Pseudoscientists Episode 84 – Intelligent design, an Indian psychic girl, weird diets and technology from the future, with Claire Shepard | Young Australian Skeptics

6. Christian

04/11/2013 at 3:17 AM

Utterly fascinating! Stories like this are why who forted has quickly become my favorite website. Keep them coming!

7. LitSpirit

04/11/2013 at 5:06 AM

God help the little girl if the government decide to use her!!!

8. Kirby Robinson

04/12/2013 at 9:56 AM

Maybe she has been forced to read chip coffeys novel

She is fake like all the rest

04/12/2013 at 10:14 AM

She’s a little girl with autism, not a television psychic. I’m not holding my breath, but I highly doubt an autistic Indian child has a clue who Chip Coffey is, or even has any kind of investment in conning anyone.

• Mom of Autistic son

04/13/2013 at 4:45 AM

Exactly! My son, when he was a small child could watch a movie one time and then repeat the entire movie, each character, word for word. He was 4 yrs old. He couldn’t speak his own sentences or thoughts, but had such an amazing ‘recorder’ in his brain. I wouldn’t be surprised at all at this childs abilities. My grandson is autistic as well and has his own special skills.

• the paraclete

04/12/2013 at 11:25 AM

Wow, you really are much smarter than everyone who believes in psychics not just some jackass.

What an idiotic remark.

• Cooch

04/12/2013 at 11:41 AM

The ironic part is that Kirby IS a psychic..

9. Eric

04/20/2013 at 12:17 PM

Boy, I guess you guys were right and I was really wrong, huh? All that actual, real, honest-to-god scientist approved data that came out, those reports in Nature and Science and PNAS, the huge NSF grant that was just awarded for further study…yup, this sure was a worthy news item!

10. ecliptic

04/28/2013 at 9:31 PM

I don’t know if she really is telepathic, but if she is, heaven help her and the family. Government agencies and the military will be all over them through one channel or another.

11. amr

05/02/2013 at 6:37 AM

Guys, She is telepathic but can only read her mom’s mind not everyone’s specifically not even her dad’s.

It’s written clearly. http://www.mytechskool.com/2013/04/indian-austic-girl-nandana-shows-extraordinary-savant-syndrome-by-reading-her-moms-mind/

So no military no government can do her any harm.

12. Igor

06/10/2013 at 3:09 AM

Please research synthetic telepathy, remote neural monitoring, voice to skull technology. These devices have proliferated and are used to abuse and torture human beings. Considering there are many new reports of victims in India it is possible that those who have their hands on these devices are using this technology on this family. They are criminals that need to be exposed to the world who commit crimes against humanity but they probably don’t torture everybody so in this sense this family is lucky.

13. DD

07/24/2013 at 3:20 AM

Hi,

I am father of an autistic child who is 8 years old and 6 months back the school teachers showed me the mind reading abilities of my child. One of the teacher asked her “What is your name”. The teacher in her mind thought about her Father’s name and she typed exactly that. I would not have believed if they would not have shown me this. I would say Science has a long way to go to understand how the brain works. Also I would be interested to know how this ability can be used for her learning

14. Mary Ann Harrington

08/30/2013 at 8:17 PM

I have been screaming this is true with multiple people I have worked with over the last twenty-five years. If, you want to see it in action with multiple people, please contact me. It is not fluke. It is a well kept secret. I d not know why!

Mary Ann Harrington

15. Mary Ann Harrington

09/01/2013 at 9:23 AM

I am surprise by Dr. Treffort’s current interest. I shared video and many similar cases with him in his own state of Wisconsin years ago. These cases could have been easily documented by taking a short drive to Milwaukee. Most of them are now adults but just as capable as ever, I am sure.

16. Lance Riley

09/05/2013 at 10:48 PM

My name is Lance Riley my name is ringing around the world. The lord has put upon me telepathy. To meet me you will experience it and become a believer and proof, telepathy is more than fiction

• Mary Ann

11/30/2013 at 2:17 PM

I would like to. I am a strong sender to autistic people with the gift. Not sure how my abilities, would work with someone who was telepathic without autism. It would be fun to try:)

17. Anitha

10/04/2013 at 1:41 AM

Same type of case has telecasted in a Malayalam channel. Case study of a 8 years old boy with autism, his name is Chandrakanth.That video is available in Youtube.

18. Frederica Bimble

11/08/2013 at 6:24 PM

Well, this explains a lot! I am a middle aged woman who is in the process of getting a ‘high functioning autism’ diagnosis. I remember when I was little that I too could ‘read minds’ but because I was bullied so much, no one gave a damn. I remember one really odd time when I was in the school library and couldn’t concentrate because I could hear what the kid sitting across from me was thinking. The thing is, I took it for granted that everyone could read the minds of others and when I told the librarian that I was having trouble with my work because I was distracted by the sound of the kid’s thoughts, I was laughed at. I think there is a sensible and logical explanation for everything in life but I truly cannot stand ‘sceptics’ like some of the comments on this thread. No, you do not need to see concrete evidence of it because it is irrelevant whether or not it exists. Just because the dull amongst us are confined by their average senses does not mean that some of us do not have higher senses. It is funny how those same ‘sceptics’ will accept someone being born blind but the idea that someone could be able to see beyond the ordinary or to decipher information beyond the ordinary eludes them. That is the main reason why so many of us with abilities and senses that go beyond what is average keep it to ourselves. I no longer am aware of an ability to ‘read minds’ but it was certainly there when I was younger. I also could see colours around organic material and my eyesight was 20/10 which is better than ‘perfect’ and my hearing went into the frequencies where dogs hear. If only I wasn’t surrounded by ignorant, dull, people of average intelligence who had to ‘challenge’ everything, who knows what I could have done with those abilities. In fact, I remember wishing that ‘one day I will be average’. I’m now much older but the senses are dying away and I am becoming average. I fit in but my intelligence is still far beyond most people’s so that is still a headache. We, the brilliant, are always having to apologise to the less intelligent because if we don’t the less intelligent will bully us into stupidity like them.
    Such is the world the gifted face everyday.

• kalel

11/30/2013 at 12:59 AM

I like your comment I am also a telepath but I send thoughts. Wish I could meet someone like you.

• Ryan Scott McFadden

04/10/2014 at 9:14 AM

What you both are experiencing is real. We, and people like us, (and please believe, there are a lot!) are somehow able to pick up thoughts from people around us. We are not schizoid, other than being able to hear voices in our mind that do not originate from our minds. What we are doing is receiving the energy that whoever we are hearing is putting out. Thoughts are energy, like everything else, so those who are sensitive to energy should be able to pick it up, and if you subscribe to the one mind, one collective consciousness theory, well then by all means we should be able to communicate on a mental level, which scientists have proven that we DO, except for telepathy. This can freak people out, them thinking that other people can read their minds, but this is not how it works. If someone is walking past me thinking about what to get for dinner tonight, I won’t hear them, but if they are around me and thinking about me, then I can. Where energy is focused, it is received. It does not just disappear half way. If someone is focusing their energy on you you are going to feel it. This is something that I have been able to do, to my awareness, for about a year now, but looking back at my life I think this gift was there all along. However, in my opinion this is more like a curse, especially if people don’t approve of you, or you make other people insecure. Please understand that we aren’t insane. Or dangerous. I cannot control you with my thoughts. I CAN however, put a thought in your head and make you think it came from yourself. Picture this. I’m on a bus behind a girl I like, if I concentrate, and focus my energy, I can get her to turn a specific way. Like look out the left window, or glance out the right window, or look back at me, even if her back is facing me, without me making any sort of physical movements or verbal utterances. When people are running autonomously, inception is easier. Picture this, you are at construction site, which for now is a city block sized hole in the ground shored up on all four sides with a big crane in the middle. You are working hard and you want your boss to see you. You look around, and notice him walking north above the hole, while you are in the middle of the hole facing west. He is walking, facing ahead, about a hundred or so feet away, and you think to him, “look at (insert your name), and he immediately turns and makes direct eye contact with you. Coincidence? Very possibly. But when things like this happen over and over again, it becomes hard to deny the possibility that we can communicate with our minds. Generally for this to happen, the people need to be connected in some way, have spent some time together, have emotional ties, etc. Trying this with some stranger whose energy you are not familiar with is much more difficult, but with training it can be done. We are not your enemies. We are not aliens. We are not demons or angels. We are scared and vulnerable human beings who are trying to live life normally, despite being able to hear all of your hate and spite for each other. We are not dangerous. We understand the importance of humility, peace, and love, and we wish that the rest of you will, too.