Mail Bag: The Spooky “Anguished Man” Haunted Painting Strikes Again!

anguishedmanpainting

Last November I brought you a letter sent in to us by a man who came into possession of a haunted painting, believed to have been created with the blood of the artist, the presence of which has resulted in everything from the appearance of faceless men, disembodied cries of anguish, and strange fog, and plenty of other strange occurrences.

The piece of art was titled “The Anguished Man”, a name that did a fine job capturing the creepy portrait.

Sean Robinson, the painting’s owner, had been documenting the haunting with a series of spooky videos before he contacted me with his story, and while the tale of the tortured painting was certainly downright weird, I hadn’t heard from Sean since.

Well, last night, Sean wrote back with an update on his situation. Here’s his email:

Hi Greg,

Just thought I would send you this update on The Anguished Man. I have recently temporarily moved in with my parents and obviously took the painting with me. It was only in the house for a few days when the noises started, the same noises I had previously experienced. Then on the third night my father fell down the stairs, the same as my son did at the other house. Thankfully he was unhurt but I have now moved the painting back into storage.

I have been working closely with John Blackburn and Ian Lawman for the Mysteria Paranormal group, taking the painting to some of the allegedly most haunted locations in the UK, including 35 Stonegate at York and Chillingham Castle in Northumberland.

It was on the evening of 18th May 2013 at Chillingham Castle that a group of people experienced events that were both terrifying and unexplainable. None of the guests were prepared for what was about happen in the early hours of Sunday Morning.

The room went icy cold, a large dark figure appeared in the middle of the séance circle and a large wooden bench banged on the floor of its own accord in response to John Blackburn’s questions to the painting, then suddenly the bench was flipped upside down violently by what was believed to be [the ghost of] John Sage, one of Chillingham Castle’s resident powerful spirits, who we think was showing his anger to a foreign uninvited spirit to his castle.

John Blackburn stated it was the strangest experience in all his years of investigation. There were a least 20 witnesses to these events.

Now that is something I wouldn’t mind witnessing. Well, that and Chillingham Castle, anyway. Any readers in the UK care to pop in the next Mysteria event and bring us a field report?

Thanks for the update, Sean!

Do you have a strange story of paranormal mystery, madness, or mayhem in your town? I want to hear about it! Send me your story and I’ll post it! You can email me at editor (at) whofortedmag.com, drop me a line on WF’s Official Facebook page, tweet me a whole bunch of times @WhoForted, or leave your story in the comments below!

1. Pingback: “Anguished Man” painting strikes again

05/27/2013 at 10:01 AM

HIS NAME IS VIGO

But seriously, that’s a creepy fucking painting. It’s not as popular a thing now, but haunted paintings were (relatively) common back in Victorian times and such – you know, when paintings were actually done as a family and cultural thing, not merely as a bit of artistic expression. The idea was that the “spirit” would find the image comfortable and latch on to it, or something. Which begs the question – what the hell would find THAT image comfortable?

In any case, if this is a haunted painting, are you sure you want to take it to all these other haunted areas?

05/27/2013 at 11:37 AM

To answer your question: YES! But for the love of god, don’t forget the camera when you take it around.

3. cyndi

05/27/2013 at 11:28 AM

Question; Why would they transport this allegedly haunted painting to haunted locations?

05/27/2013 at 11:39 AM

To make the situation scarier? To see if the painting had any effect on the surroundings or vice versa? To hopefully capture evidence of the haunting? Beats me, but whatever it is, they seem to think it’s working.

4. Henry

05/27/2013 at 2:17 PM

Have you ever heard of Richard Dadd?

• Coppertop

05/27/2013 at 2:34 PM

05/27/2013 at 2:38 PM

I actually wasn’t familiar with him but went ahead and hit the google.. talk about weird. Pretty fascinating story behind his paintings. I’d seen a bunch of them before but never knew the history behind them or who the artist was. Saw that one of his lost paintings was found on Antiques Roadshow. Lucky bastard!

5. Raven Storm

05/27/2013 at 7:41 PM

As usual, I have many questions. Sean says the painting was in his grandmother’s possession when he was a child. Does any one else in his family know where she may have gotten it from? Any way to know what year she acquired it or from where she may have acquired it? It just seems to me that if it were from a regional artist, someone would recognize something about it. Any markings on the painting? Initials? Anything on the canvas to indicate year or supplier? Has the paintig ever been x-rayed or examined in any way to determine age? He says that he was told “the artist’s blood is mixed into the paint”, anyone check into that to confirm it? Artist’s usually don’t let their work go unnoticed, so I find it hard to imagine that their is no type of “signature” or “mark” mentioned.

• Henry

05/27/2013 at 9:35 PM

It is actually not that uncommon for amateurs to not sign their work, or do so in such an obscure way you might miss it. Also if it has ever been restretched for any reason the signature could have been pulled around out of sight.

6. Kristy

05/30/2013 at 12:09 PM

Kind of looks like the faces from the mermaid show!

7. Pingback: The Crying Boy Curse | Fortean Folly

8. Will

07/09/2013 at 1:23 PM

If it hasn’t already been tried I would recommend using a black light on the painting. This would confirm, the use of blood in the paint. Along the same lines, using different ends of the light spectrum to view the painting may reveal something hidden under the image such as a signature. These methods have recently been employed to find many interesting things hidden within some of Da Vinci’s works.

9. Pingback: A Scare Is In The Air… | Space Cadet Glow

10. Pingback: L'uomo angosciato e il suo mistero | pensierospensieratopensierospensierato