Hairy Blob “Creature” Appears in New York Street After Heavy Rainfall

monsterblob2

What’s big, fuzzy, and mysteriously appears after a torrential rain? Don’t know? Neither do residents of New York’s Carroll Gardens, who are scratching their heads trying to figure out just what the bizarre thing is, and where it came from.

The hairy blob was discovered on Friday by creeped out pedestrians on Court St. who said the unexplained “creature” smelled like a sea-animal. Photographer Keith Thompson realized that the hairball’s sudden appearance was stirring up some weird conversation among the locals, and wisely rushed out to snap a few shots before it disappeared.

monsterblob1But is it even a creature at all, or just a strange old piece of shag carpet? One witness shared his encounter with the beast, and why he thinks it’s alive.

“I saw this thing!”, exclaimed Kyle Grunph on Carroll Gardens Patch. “Was making my way to Grocer’s when I saw this hairy blob laying there. It smelled to high heaven (almost fishy) and as I got closer to inspect it I swear that I saw it move.”

Grunph went on to wonder if the odd blob might have been something strange from the ocean, but if that’s the case, how in the world did it end up next to a tree in New York City?

It wouldn’t be the first time a “monster blob” mysteriously appeared in the middle of a major metropolitan area. Just over two weeks ago, a huge, smelly ooze sprung from the cracks in a street in China, and caused quite a commotion before it finally disappeared back into the ground.

So, what do you think of the mysterious monster blob? Is it a confused sea creature far from home? A monstrous being that fell from the skies during a particularly bad rain? Or just a really big cheerleader’s wayward pom-poms? Share your thoughts with me on Facebook, on twitter @WhoForted, or in the comments below!

1. robyn

05/29/2013 at 10:48 AM

this blob appears to have a smoking problem.

• marga

06/02/2013 at 12:03 AM

Looks like a deformed bail of hay to me. But of course I could be wrong.

• dara

06/18/2013 at 2:08 PM

I agree that it looks like a bad bale of wet hay.

2. Michael A.

05/29/2013 at 10:58 AM

Maybe people really do take big hairy dumps.

• Ch. Norris

06/02/2013 at 9:39 AM

Is New York, Forget About it!!!

3. Beto Arisi

05/29/2013 at 11:38 AM

Just a carpet someone put outside for a while, the wind did the rest. And some people put on the web to get audience…

• Coppertop

05/29/2013 at 2:48 PM

If that’s someone’s carpet, they REALLY need to vacuum and shampoo their apartment more. Goddamn.

05/29/2013 at 12:13 PM

Is it just me, or is there more and more weird, disgusting blob-like shit appearing in the world these days? Are we being invaded by the ooze section of the Monster Manual or something?

5. Pingback: Hairy Blob “Creature” Appears in New York Street After Heavy Rainfall

6. Raven Storm

05/29/2013 at 12:21 PM

Seriously!? I would love to just kick ppl right in the ass! Why is it that ppl come across these strangely wonderful opportunities and no one EVER tries to get more than a picture!! Really!? They never turn it over or move it or take a sample from it!? Take more than one picture? What the hell is wrong with people!? I would have loaded that thing in my car and brought it home to examine it!! WTF!!??

• Coppertop

05/29/2013 at 2:50 PM

Hey, you want to load that into your car, go right ahead. Thing looks like the world’s largest shower hair clog. I don’t WANT to touch it.

That said, I’d at least have taken half an hour of video of it, see if it moved over time, poked it, prodded it, and maybe turned it over. I’m no amateur scientist, but Raven’s right. A little more curiosity is called for in these situations, folks – if only to make sure it ISN’T some kind of rotting piece of carpet.

• JillV

05/30/2013 at 2:10 PM

Thank you Raven Storm. This is exactly my thought. People need to take a little more action and investigate the weird thing instead of running away from the thing, specially the crypto-hunters who hear a noise or get a rock thrown at them and leave the scene. crypto-hunters not crypto-scardies-that-runaway at the first sight of something strange.

7. Pingback: Attack of the Shag Carpet? | Full Bore

8. Secret Character

05/29/2013 at 10:00 PM

So, the real question is, where is it now?

9. Bobo

05/30/2013 at 3:28 PM

It looks Squatchy to me.

10. patrick

05/30/2013 at 7:14 PM

it aint just the spinning broom part off one of those street cleaner vehicles?

11. Arnie

05/31/2013 at 7:08 AM

Why wasn’t it examined? No story here, just more hype.

05/31/2013 at 7:11 AM

“Hey, man, you heard that hype about that new up and coming blob of hair? Gonna be a real big star..”

12. alanborky

05/31/2013 at 2:07 PM

Greg going by the hair it’s either Marge Simpson from the show where she let her hair go grey or Sideshow Blob.

13. John

05/31/2013 at 4:46 PM

The first thought that came to my mind was Donald Trump :-/

14. Alan

05/31/2013 at 7:07 PM

People are so afraid of poking blobs nowadays; the best they can do is take a few pictures?

15. EnderWiggin

05/31/2013 at 11:19 PM

The fact that nothing came of the story suggests that someone finally realized that it was a discarded shag carpet that accidentally got left in one too many rain storms and the nearest garbage truck grabbed it. Still, the trouble with tribbles is that when when they caught in the rain…

16. mojo nixon

06/01/2013 at 9:48 AM

I saw a similar almost identicle picture of another one only smaller last month though i dont have a link to share. That one showed up after a lightning strike hit an adjacent area.

17. Mayor of NYC

06/01/2013 at 4:20 PM

Cousin It had a bad hair day.

18. marga

06/02/2013 at 12:06 AM

Looks like a bail of hay took a beating.

19. Pingback: Weird News Weekly |

20. Billy The Kid

06/02/2013 at 6:50 AM

C’mon NYC, You are smarter than this…. I think.

Clearly a bale of hay …..

21. tex colburn

06/03/2013 at 12:36 AM

I work at Transgenics across the street,a private gov subcontractor biogenetics lab ang thay was our cross of a octopus with a bear and australian shepard dog.it didnt live.
    So we usedit for a psyop prop for our gov spooks project to probe public awaren
    ess of chimeras

06/03/2013 at 12:43 AM

Finally! THE TRUTH!

• Ady

06/08/2013 at 1:27 PM

I hope your government has better spelling and grammar than this! :p

22. bwood80

06/10/2013 at 3:10 PM

It’s definitely a sleeping Blob Squatch. If someone tried to get a better picture of it, it would just come out blurry…

23. Cherie

06/12/2013 at 12:26 PM

I so enjoyed the comments; between them and the picture I was reminded of the wild, omnivorous compost heaps in one of T. Pratchett’s books.

24. Debi

06/12/2013 at 8:17 PM

looks like a carwash brush, which dropped off a truck hauling it away. simple.

06/12/2013 at 8:21 PM

Aside from the smelling like fish and moving around on its own, I’m with you.

25. Palfers

06/16/2013 at 11:53 AM

Sometimes, even God has to take a dump

26. Fishinpants

06/17/2013 at 5:30 PM

Oh no! The mob finally hit Snuffleupagus. I knew his gambling problem was getting out of control, but did they really have to do this?

27. Aidan

07/07/2013 at 10:09 PM

It’s simply some brown shag carpeting that someone threw out and it got rained on. If it smelled bad and the person indeed saw it move, it’s New York city. There was either a family of rats living in there or a homeless person.

28. Canned Soup

07/14/2013 at 6:47 AM

The fur ball doesn’t scare me. The creature that coughed that thing up should be the focus of our worries.

29. Pingback: A stroll down the Sunday morning Sidewalk | HORROR REPORT