Real Life “Carrie”? Student’s “Psychic Attack” at Japanese All-Girls School Sends 18 to Hospital

carrie

In a fantastically strange bit of news from the Land of the Rising Sun, a “psychic attack” straight out of a Stephen King novel was reported at an all-girls school, sending over a dozen to the hospital and shaking up the student body.

Last Wednesday at the well-known prep school Kamigōri High in Hyogo, Japan, emergency services were called out and a reported 18 girls were taken to two separate hospitals after what was described as a bizarre, hour long “state of panic” during which dozens of teen girls began hyperventilating.

The initial incident began around 11:45am when a first year student began complaining of a “bad feeling”. Her hyperventilating sparked a chain of similar events that affected 17 first years, and one third year student.

Things got even stranger when rumors began spreading that the incident was actually the work of a psychic attack dealt from the first girl to exhibit the bizarre symptoms.

According to the Aioi police department, it was well known amongst the other students that the girl displayed “supernatural senses” and they believed she was to blame for the hospitalizations.

Some of the girls at Kamigori High took to Facebook and Twitter to air their concerns following the event.

“This doesn’t seem like simple hyperventilation,”fellow student Kaisei Yoshimura said. “There are a lot of suspicious rumors spreading around the internet. Wonder if they’re better off calling in an exorcist?”

The victims have since been released from the hospital and have shown no long term after effects. The girl accused of psychically attacking her fellow students has not responded to rumors about her alleged psychic abilities and authorities have not released her name to the public, although I suspect it might be Carrie.

What do you think happened at the prep-school? Did a Japanese “Carrie” show a display of psychic powers? Or was this simply a case of mass hysteria? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a comment below!

Dana Matthews
Dana Newkirk is a co-creator and regular contributor to WF? 'Zine. Dana hosted the internationally syndicated television series The Girly Ghost Hunters, which originally aired on the Space Channel in Canada. It was pretty terrible. If you so choose, you can catch the reruns on Sunday mornings around 4:30am on channel 44. Her main interests lie within the genre of vintage fringe, though she has been known to stand awkwardly in the background of many Who Forted videos.
Dana Matthews

06/26/2013 at 4:20 PM

This sounds like something straight out of a japanese horror comic. Like the Ring or something.

2. alanborky

06/27/2013 at 2:42 PM

Dana I think this sort of thing happens in schools far more than people let on but of course teachers don’t dare go public about such things for fear of being sectioned.

If y’think about it poltergeist phenomena supposedly manifest in the presence of emotionally troubled adolescents an’ schools’re positively ripped to the tits with such individuals making ‘em practically the psychic equivalent of nuclear reactors.

Add to that right hand path fakirs deny themselves sex as a way of building up kundalini while left hand path fakirs build up kundalini by pursuing forbidden sex then suddenly you have the other half of the equation all those teachers who just about manage to rein in their lust for their students plus the teachers who don’t simply because even though they know they’re riskin’ their careers they find forbidden fruit irresistible.

One of these days a teacher or a group of ‘em’ll finally break the silence and reveal the full array of what teachers’re really up against especially all the mind bending Fortean stuff and even while the rationalist fire brigade’ll be rushin’ to flush ‘em down the drain it’ll be too late because the dam’ll’ve burst as other teachers start speaking out.

• jaal

07/01/2013 at 4:09 AM

Whatever it is that you are smoking, I want some too!

3. Sergei

06/27/2013 at 4:30 PM

This is, actually, not the first report of this sort of thing coming out of Japanese schools. What I know of Japanese student sociology that it’s very insular, extremely cliquish, highly-strung, and prone to gossip affirmation. Combining all of these and you get a body of people that are one unconfirmed rumor away from mass hysteria.

4. Jessica Owen

06/27/2013 at 9:52 PM

It is a simple case of Conversion Disorder. This is well documented all over the world. It tends to happen in females more then males. Think of it as flock or swarm syndrome in humans. One displays or in the case of a swarm changes direction, the rest follow. Salem trials, and the New Jersey Highschool case a couple of years ago were perfect examples. Some thought is thousands of years ago it was a safety feature for females. One organic side effect is the interesting aspect of females that are in close quarters ” cycle up” and are on the same monthly period. All I know, and I have never admitted this to anyone. I had ticks that developed in highschool. I could not control my face features, I blinked too much and scrunched my nose for about 3 months. To the point other girls thought I was on drugs. I believe it was presentation of OCD that I soon channeled into Cheer-leading…funnily enough…3 of my friends started doing it as well. For about the same amount of time as I did.

• UFQuack

06/28/2013 at 11:24 PM

There’s nothing simple about it. Just because they put a name to something doesn’t mean it’s understood.

5. Jack

06/28/2013 at 5:57 AM

Come on now. Japanese girls love to do this, they’re all far too addicted to Anime and Manga and follow a lot of what goes on in that sub-culture. The Japanese youth are a strange breed, with all the technology and this sick passion they have for cartoons and films it’s no wonder they’re all too weirded out.

6. April

06/28/2013 at 10:34 AM

My first thought was a planned day off from school. The worst thing that can happen in hyper-ventilation is that you faint. And it’s something that anyone who breathes can accomplish. From what I’ve learned, students in Japanese schools are under a great deal more pressure than any school in the States, so in revolt, why not stage an easy diversion? It only takes one or two to start and the rest of the copy-cat sheep will follow. Wouldn’t happen in grades lower than 6th because they’re too busy licking each other eyeballs.

7. Arra

06/28/2013 at 7:36 PM

Don’t forget that Japan had 3 nuclear meltdowns in March 2011, and the damaged plants are still spewing radiation.

Plus Japan is burning radioactive waste all over the country.

Maybe these girls were exposed to radiation or radioactive dust, etc.

Learn more about Japan’s nuclear crisis at ENENEWS.com

8. Jacob Ellinger

06/28/2013 at 8:49 PM

My thought is that maybe someone drugged them. Our own government has done things like that before so why not japan?

It could be something like mass hysteria but I saw kids acting strange all the time in high school and no one ever freaked out because of it.

9. Enrique Peña Nieto

06/28/2013 at 10:11 PM

Bollocks

10. John

06/28/2013 at 10:28 PM

Does her name happen to be AKIRA?

11. DrMeatwadPhD

06/28/2013 at 11:06 PM

Superstitious people,,, find them and tag them. Follow their every movement, because one will eventually use their superstitions to kill another.

Take for example, the girl that started the hyperventilating could become their next victim as they call her a witch.

12. Pingback: Weird News Weekly |

13. Darrell Kitchen

06/30/2013 at 10:03 AM

I think it’s a case of mass hysteria, plain and simple. The other students who exhibited the same condition the first student had was reacting out of their own fears and causing their own condition to occur. A clear cut case of monkey-see-monkey-do brought on by fear and fixation.

14. John

07/01/2013 at 12:55 AM

The story demonstrates that no matter how advanced a society becomes the Dark Age is always lurking in the wings.

15. Pingback: “Carrie” japonesa es culpada por presunto ataque psíquico en escuela de señoritas | Pijamasurf

16. Pingback: News for July 2, 2013 « Haunted South TV Paranormal Investigators

17. Jason

07/06/2013 at 4:49 PM

This just sounds like a case of Japan.

18. Pingback: ‘Psychic Attack’ at Japanese School Sends 18 to Hospital | One Mind News

19. Emily

01/23/2014 at 1:18 PM

Perhaps they all took magic mushrooms together and had a bad trip?

20. Suleiman Samsodien

09/11/2014 at 7:43 AM

Vosloo Neighbours using voodoo on you
    I started hearing voices in my head and I started to think I was getting sick or nerves break down you know.
    I told my wife and friends but they all just said, that you needed I break you over worked and shit like that and I keep telling them its people that doing this and they insisted that I should go to a doctor for a check-up.
    I went to hospitals private doctors in and out of hospitals, they keep saying there is nothing wrong with you, did all kinds of test and everything.
    The voices in my head keep threatening me , tormenting me and would say things like , I want to destroy your life and want 10,000 rand ,I am going to doekoem (voodoo) your family . I want to control you.
    They would say things like we beating this doll that is you and you could feel the hits (impacts) on your body and they would laugh and laugh. Every night they would wake me up and start shouting and screaming in my head and beating me. Then they would make sounds like they under your bed and stabbing you. They would do this every knight.
    Remember you scared freak out of your mind, you cannot think clearly. Remember your mind is being attack. You couldn’t go for help or talk to anybody especially a voodoo doctor they would attack you and watch you’re every move.
    It was like you being prisoned in your own mind you cannot think cause you to scared.
    So I decided to went to the nearest church and they would attack you mind trying to scare you and keeping you away from church. Telling you things that we going to kill you and it’s not going to work, there’s no help nothing they can do.
    A sister in church that had a gift prayed for me and told me that this people wanted you ill off you head (crazy).
    I then sold my house and moved away but they still keep on attacking me every night and day 24/7 Telling me things that, we were teaching voodoo on you and your wife and I was standing right in front of you and stare in to you face and that is how I voodoo you. You don’t know who we are.
    As I am still under attack and afraid, I went to work and didn’t talk to anybody and went straight home after work and again didn’t tell anyone about this cause I was scared and my family would not believe me . Everything you do, they would tell you things like your car won’t start this wound work that won’t work everything you do they would comment on it trying to put you down.
    Then as they were beating me I become stronger and started to figure things out for myself, breaking their rules, learning their voodoo tricks that they using on me and started to fight back. Then I found out that they were infect teaching/showing people how to do voodoo and then they would try to blackmail you for a 10,000 rand

The reason why I telling you this is because I don’t want it to happen to anybody ells and that any one ells would fall into the same trap.
    If you need more info or help on how it works and how they do it , mail /contact me at solairetechnologies.com or ssamsodien05@gmail.com
    Suleiman Samsodien