vampirebeast

It appears that the Vampire Beast of North Carolina, a monster blamed for dozens of blood-drained animal corpses, is back on the prowl and hungrier than ever.

In 1953 the Bladenboro Newspaper covered a story about a strange creature that had blamed for the deaths of numerous dogs, draining them of their blood. Local eyewitnesses who spotted the beast claimed it possessed the body of a bear, the head of a cat, and that when it opened its mouth to growl it made the sound of a woman screaming.

The original newspaper article stirred up quite a bit of controversy, so much, in fact, that groups of farmers from neighboring towns came to Bladenboro to hunt and kill the creature. They never did track the beast down, and fortunately for them, the killings eventually stopped on their own.

The bizarre animal exsanguination began again in 2003, only this time it seemed the creature had broadened his horizons and was now killing in a 150-miles radius beyond Bladenboro.  During its second blood-run, the Vampire Beast of North Carolina was managing to slay even the bulkiest of Pit Bulls with ease and many Bladenboro residents claimed to have found strange tracks around their dead pets that even wildlife biologists couldn’t explain.

And then, much like in 1953, the killings stopped just as quickly as they began. Until last month, that is..

According to a report by paranormal investigator Thomas Byers, on June 15th 2013, Bladenboro, NC resident Misty Turner and her son Tyler contacted local police after something visited their farm in the dead of night, killing three of their horses and a large Bull Mastiff dog. Misty’s son Tyler found the horses after the barking dog had alerted the family to the fact that something was skulking around the property. The dog continued to bark for quite some time, obsessed with the dense wooded area alongside the farm.

Arriving police and veterinarians were shocked to discover that the horses had died from very deep puncture wounds to the neck. Even more shocking was that it seemed that the purpose of the marks was to allow the blood to be drained from the animals. The horses were also reported to have been wet with sweat, almost as if they had been running hard to avoid whatever was chasing them down.

The following evening, much to the Turner’s display, their dog was also killed in the exact same fashion, with two puncture marks to the neck, found with its blood drained. Misty claims to have seen the thing that had killed her animals as it was running from the lifeless body of her pet. Her description of the creature matched the same eyewitness reports of the Vampire Beast reported in 1953.

Is the Vampire Beast of North Carolina back? Let us know what you think! Drop us a line on Facebook, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a comment below!

Dana Matthews
Dana Newkirk is a co-creator and regular contributor to WF? 'Zine. Dana hosted the internationally syndicated television series The Girly Ghost Hunters, which originally aired on the Space Channel in Canada. It was pretty terrible. If you so choose, you can catch the reruns on Sunday mornings around 4:30am on channel 44. Her main interests lie within the genre of vintage fringe, though she has been known to stand awkwardly in the background of many Who Forted videos.
Dana Matthews

07/02/2013 at 11:43 AM

Another classic, creepy chupacabra scenario. I’m not saying it’s actually the chupacabra – which changes from an alien reptoid monster to a dog with mange depending on which decade you first learned about it in – but there’s something out there slaughtering animals and draining ‘em dry. Hell, this thing goes back as afar as 1953, if not later. /Something’s/ got a powerful thirst in North Carolina.

• pissbear

07/02/2013 at 12:33 PM

this sin’t a commercial you fuck

07/02/2013 at 12:50 PM

wat.

• Coppertop

07/02/2013 at 1:44 PM

I don’t know. Someone’s drunk on the internet again.

• Matthew Ryan Bogenschneider

01/21/2014 at 7:38 PM

I completely agree with you some people say that it is a couger.I say that’s bullshit a couger can’t dislocate a 140 pound full-grown pitbulls skull and take out a chunk of its shoulder without leaving any traces besides tracks.also a couger won’t undig a dog owner had it burried and bring it back to the spot where it was killed.ifu want more info on the matter email me at ryanbogenschneider@yahoo.com.

2. Sergei

07/02/2013 at 2:10 PM

Ah, a cryptid case from my neck of the woods. For those of you who are curious, Bladenboro is close to Wilmington, which is near the coast. This tends to rule out creatures like bears but opens up to new and interesting fauna, like alligators (though not likely). However, despite their recently extinct classification, NC is still, technically, a lurking spot for Mountain Lions, which despite their name, don’t always keep to the mountains. But the most obvious answer to this is that it’s not one creature but a pack of them; specifically, a pack of coyotes, which are usually meek and easy to drive off if they’re solitary but are bold and deadly in groups… and NC is loaded with them.

• Mitchell F.

07/02/2013 at 9:01 PM

I live in Eastern NC about 2-1/2 hours north of Wilmington. I do not know how you can rule out bears because we have plenty of them around here. Anyway, this is the first time I have heard of these recent attacks. The puncture wounds to the neck would point me in the direction towards a large cat of some sort. Big cats usually kill by suffocation by biting their prey around the neck and closing off the airway. After the animal is dead, removing the blood is not an issue. The only thing that does not make sense is that there are no more wounds mentioned. I think a big cat would go after the meat not just the blood. But then again….Who am I??? Just sayin…..

• Tom

07/10/2013 at 2:55 PM

It doesn’t sound like a pack doing this. In the winter of 1968 I was coming home from the store and as I pulled up our lane my mother was standing outside trying to get my attention. Mom rarely got flustered about anything but something had her wired. She told me I needed to see something so I followed her to the horse field across from the house. There were two areas fenced off, one covered several acres for the horses and the other as about 80′ by 80′ with no gate, why I have not a clue but it was fenced. In the middle of that field laid a colt my mare had given birth to earlier that year. The snow was several inches deep but the only tracks were the tracks of the colt. It had been so afraid it busted thru wire fencing and nothing rode its back as the top strand of barbed wire was still intact. When I checked the carcess I found absolutely no blood in the snow and the entire chest cavity was gone. from the base of the neck to the diaphram was empty. The skin, fur, ribs from that area was gone and no blood was left in the colt. Never figured out what happened but I had an earlier episode during the summer when I heard a scream late at night in the gully next to our house. I spent much time in the country and the woods but never had I ever heard such a scream and I have never heard it since. Don’t know if they were related but I feel there are things in this world we know very little about and whatever is killing animals in NC could be something we don’t know anything about as yet.

3. June Richards

07/02/2013 at 6:26 PM

That vampire beast is a dangerous animal they need to hurry up and catch him i sure wouldn’t want to be in North Carolina!

4. Will

07/03/2013 at 6:51 PM

1953, 2003, 2013… Wonder if we’re missing 40 years of reports.

5. Alicia American

07/08/2013 at 2:36 PM

Is that a Jack Davis kitty? Who drew that yo?

6. JillV

07/10/2013 at 1:21 PM

anyone see the mountain monsters episode were they’re hunting the devil dog. I think that was happening out in West Virginia but I’m not sure. Whatever it was, was big, canine and it killed coyotes. Maybe a large wolf or hybrid wolf of some kind. It was running in a pack of smaller dog like animals. Whatever it was, it wasn’t killing the coyotes for food. It would simple rip out the liver or drain the animal of blood. some of these details might be wrong but it’s strange that this creature and that creature are both just killing other animals. it’s not for food.

7. Pingback: FC91 - Angry Molesting Tree - Flash Pulp

8. Travis

09/09/2013 at 7:01 PM

I’m interested in trying to hunt down this thing if anyone is interested. I’d be happy to stay the night at your property and see if it comes around and, if I’m lucky shoot it and take it down. For good.

Send me an email at CreepFinder @ live.com

9. Bob Smith

10/09/2013 at 1:28 AM

I encountered this creature while driving in a car, near Currie, North Carolina, one night, back in about July of 2008. I had heard strange cries at night, many evenings prior to this one, in the exact same location – it sounded like a woman screaming of a baby crying, but was way more “out there” than that. One of those things you can’t put into words. On this particular evening, my girlfriend at the time and I were driving back from Currie, North Carolina, to Wilmington, about 40 miles away. It was dark, about 10:30 p.m. We were rounding a curve when the headlights of the car panned across a farmer’s field on the left side of the road. Standing there, in the middle of the field, was a creature. We both saw it for about two to three seconds. We didn’t say a word for about a minute afterwards. Finally, I asked her if she had seen what I had seen, and she said, “Yes, but what was it?” We drove back to the spot, and looked again – nothing was there. We talked about what we saw, and we both had seen a creature that was broad-chested, about three to four feet tall, about four to five feet long, with a cat-like, oval face and the body of a dog. The one thing we were both sure, was, it was nothing we had ever seen before. It also had glowing red eyes, which could not be accounted for, based on head light reflection, because the red eyes continued to glow after our car’s head lights had swept past the creature. A few nights later we had used our DVR to record the History Channel’s “Monster Quest” TV program. We climbed into bed to watch the show, and heard something similar to the following during the program’s introduction…”And now, something is killing dogs and animals in the rural areas of North Carolina. Has the Vampire Beast of Bladeboro returned?” And right then, they showed an artist’s rendition of the creature. We both looked at each other and freaked out, because that depiction was pretty much dead-on to what both of us had seen that night. There’s more to the story than this. Anyone who thinks it’s a mountain lion, or a pack of coyotes, or some known hominid of some sort, has not examined the evidence to the contrary, and has most definitely never seen it. I believe this thing is one of many creatures that can appear in our reality, at a given moment, and then disappear. I am currently trying to locate an audio recording of the creature’s cries. If anyone has a recording, or if anyone is lucky enough to hear it, and turn on their cell phone and record it, I will be checking this blog out from time to time. Please post if you have made, or located, a recording of the creature’s cries…

10. james

10/16/2013 at 2:13 PM

we haven’t had any “blood drinking/vampire” type of animal mutilations that i know of around these parts.

we do have lots of black bears, wild hogs and mountain lions/panthers.

we have had lots of strange unexplainable animals seen.

most of the carcass is stripped down. the coyotes generally clean everything up.

one of the things that the livestock mutilations have as marker is that coyotes , buzzards , opossums and such tend to leave the ‘weird’ kills alone.

like they smell something wrong with it.

11. Pingback: Has the Vampire Beast of North Carolina Returned? New Killings by Mystery Animal Match Classic Cryptid Case – Who Forted? Magazine | Mysterious Times

12. Ginger20037

04/28/2014 at 10:59 PM

I SERIOUSLY need to stop reading this kind of stuff. I’m gonna be jumping for my gun at the smallest of noises now! I have 9 horses and don’t want anything happening to any of them.

13. VolleyBrawl