Man Discovers Phantom Figure in Facebook Photo, Image Analyst: “I Believe This is a Real Ghost”

littleghostgirl

A New Hampshire man made a startling discovery when he noticed a ghostly figure photobombing a friend’s Facebook snapshot. Now, an expert photo analyst is saying that the phantom is real.

Two weeks ago, Daniel Tanner decided to peruse a friend’s online photo album when something eerie caught his eye. In the background of an image that shows Tanner’s friend posing with her canine companion, what appears to be the ghost of a young girl can be seen peering through a window.

“My friend has been claiming for months that her house is haunted,” Tanner told Reddit. “Her husband took this pic a few days ago.”

Tanner claims that the only people in the house at the time of the photograph were his friend and her husband, who snapped the image.

While plenty of skeptics were quick to argue that the phantom girl was simply a trick of the eye, a a reflection, or even a clever hoax, the only investigator to bring any expertise to the table was a veteran photo analyst with 15 years of experience under his belt. After performing an in-depth search for evidence of manipulation, he gave the amateur sleuths an incredibly detailed breakdown of the image. His official opinion? The spooky photo is the real deal.

In summary, I cannot find any tampering evident in this photograph. Whatever this is, I’m unable to disprove it. The only other thing I can possibly suggest *might* be going on in this picture is a very elaborate projection set up, but even that I don’t believe is the case because the lighting in the mud room is quite dim. I would expect a projection to cause light glare on the mirror, and there is none. So….. I guess I’m saying I believe this is a real ghost.

ghostgirlanalysis

Here’s hoping that Tanner’s friends don’t mind babysitting scary ghost children.

What do you make of the creepy image? Is the photo expert correct in his pro-phantom stance? Or did someone go through a lot of trouble just to have a cooler Facebook profile image than their friends? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook, tweet us @WhoForted, or leave a comment below!

1. Michael

09/01/2013 at 3:41 PM

I always love the claim that its an untouched photo. That may be true but faking a photo like where you have a strong light source and a glass window with night time or a dark room on the other side isn’t hard to do.

• allyin@email.com

09/05/2013 at 1:32 AM

Well, she’s wearing white, has light hair done up in a wavy bun….. a dark coloured dog. The window acts like a mirror when it’s dark outside, and even in low light, her back would reflect off the glass with her light colours… but, her dog would not, being a dark colour. It’s the reflection of her back…. even the shoulders line up…. including the seam! The picture quality is very poor… but, this is not a ghost. It’s her back.

• Gabriel Knight

09/06/2013 at 11:57 AM

Her back ha your obviously a skeptic how for one can her back create a face looking right through the window its real ive seen stranger things now she knows for sure her living space has at.least one mpre occupant

• Alicia American

09/18/2013 at 6:22 AM

Yes ur rite, it’s tha back of her wavery blond hed yo! GOOD CALL!

• WerewolfRadar

10/08/2013 at 9:47 AM

Nailed it. She’s a Backface. Equally paranormal. That’s the kind of outside the box thinking we need round these parts.

• ash

10/14/2013 at 6:47 PM

If it’s her back, then why is her head not leaning at the same angle as the girl’s, why are there clear features on the girl’s face, when there should be a mess of hair in a bun? The chances of her hair creating a perfectly symmetrical, face-shaped reflection with hair and shoulders is unlikely. Why does it look like the girl’s hair is out, over her shoulders, when if it was a reflection of the woman, it would just be her shoulders? If you look, you can see the girl standing and peering through the window, and you can also see another transparent figure standing side on, behind her and slightly to the left, but still visible. It looks to me like the side on figure is the same or a similarly aged girl, standing with her hands behind her back
        (both arms right behind, grasping the elbows, if you can imagine what I mean), her dress is old and puffs out at her lower back, like an olden style gown. She is looking down at the ground. This doesn’t look like a reflection of the woman at all, however there is always the possibility that there was just some creepy little kids in their yard spying… As for what you think is the seam of her shirt.. it is: you can actually see the woman’s reflection, the shape of her shoulders and her head (hair pulled up) and a smaller blob of dark that is her dog, next to her. I am not an expert in photography, I just have a really good eye for detail and shape. The girl is much more solid looking than the woman’s reflection. What looks sort of like a wing over the girls shoulder is the other figure’s dress. Look hard. I’ve stared, look at each smudge to see it its light reflecting from the camera, her reflection or something outside in the yard, something in the room reflecting, and I can still make out this girl. Yes, we do subconsciously create faces and known shapes from blurs so as to familiarize them. However, if we use this excuse every time someone sees a face, we get nowhere. Of course we’re going to see faces; they are ghosts of humans are they not? I can not only see a face, but her hair, shoulders, the other figure and the woman’s actual reflection.

• Chris

09/05/2013 at 9:04 AM

What bothers me about the image is it’s looks just like one of those cherub statues. You can even see the hint of a wing over the left shoulder.

• Jim

09/08/2013 at 6:51 PM

You can thanks to pareidolia, but I see the reflection of the back of her head. Her hair is all bunched up creating some ambiguous patterns

• Michael

09/08/2013 at 10:23 PM

I always have a big problem with photos like this where all the conditions are right to show a reflection. Its easy to reproduce a situation like this. What is also a bother is the light and shadows on the figure’s face in the window indicates that it is in the room in front of the woman. Items like this where there’s reflections going on always leave way too much to doubt.

• George

10/07/2013 at 10:00 PM

I think you’ve got it!

2. RadioJim

09/01/2013 at 4:53 PM

For a flash to illuminate there must be a reflection off solid matter. Are we ready to say that spirit apparitions are made of matter, therefore are not non-corporeal?

• Gregory

09/03/2013 at 2:22 PM

Yes, I have NO idea why anyone is trying to “hunt” ghosts with cameras, whether still or video. That goes for motion detectors, anything really that depends on a material manifestation. This would also rule out EVPs (gotta have lungs and all the other apparatus to even moan, right?). The only “lookit teh ghost in this frame” argument is that yes, ghosts are able to manifest from in-corporeality and back (at will?) OR are somehow able to manipulate these devices to put images (sounds) in them that weren’t there when the device was originally used.

We’re really approaching this backwards. We have folks saying: Ghosts can make sounds and appear in photos or on video. But I have rarely heard any of these folks explain how they’d be able to do that in the first place.

As for this image, we are so pre-disposed to see a face in ANY image that we can’t really trust our eyes. It could be any image there, but we try to assemble things into faces since we humans use that to identify each other. See here for an example: http://spicingupyourlife.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/11150078.jpg

So no, I think we’re a long way away from looking at photos and wondering if it’s a ghost or not. Because we haven’t proven there’s any such thing as ghosts yet. It’s like waiting at your door for a pizza delivery man BEFORE you order the pizza.

• Gabriel Knight

09/06/2013 at 12:06 PM

Your suggesting that we all do what is called matrixing or our mind tries to.make sense of wjat it sees but i in my opinion beleive your wrong saying evps and ghostly images arent possible ,heres how most equipment used in these ventures use ir lighting because it is said that spirits bend color and light spectrums so with the right lighting at the right time its possible and as for evps its all about emf you see even humans give off a small amount of it , things like recorders pick these things up because of slight fluctuations in a given field these are then tranlated into sound waves that move through real space making it possible to be recorded

• Jona D

09/08/2013 at 3:14 AM

You’re really expecting people to give you a scientific explanation for seeing and hearing ghosts? Really? If they could do that, it wouldn’t be PARAnormal anymore. Sheesh!

• not even wrong

09/04/2013 at 6:09 AM

Huh?? A flash illuminates due to lighting conditions. Are we ready to say that some apparitions are seen in poor lighting? Yes we are.

3. Pingback: Man Discovers Phantom Figure in Facebook Photo

4. Mike Franklin

09/04/2013 at 5:40 AM

The concept of ghosts leaving visual evidence is one that’s always good for debate. The thing we might be able to guess is that a disembodied spirit could perhaps be able to harness heat as a form of energy to then project a kind of plasmatic image of their former physical selves.

Like I said, just a guess. None of us will know until we get there and try it for ourselves, lol.

5. StevenHawkings

09/04/2013 at 5:49 AM

Someone explain why “ghost”s wear clothes. It is as if the novelists lines has reached a stuck mode they can’t shake. We need nude ghosts for any belief from me.

6. kathy

09/04/2013 at 6:39 AM

I see more than a little girl ghost, I see a man with a hat on the side of her.

• Ken

09/04/2013 at 4:10 PM

I see that also.There is also an older woman’s face behind the girl that see.

• Ken

09/04/2013 at 4:13 PM

I just noticed another thing…..what I wrote in that first comment looks really dumb.However, I see the man with the hat and an older woman that seems to be behind that girl.

7. Jack

09/04/2013 at 8:23 AM

I know these people and I can tell you right off, it IS a hoax. They tried this before. The process is easy, any idiot with a computer and a camera can do it.

They know it’s a hoax but won’t admit to it.

There you have it.

8. RayG

09/04/2013 at 8:40 AM

ummm, perhaps a child standing to the right of the photographer being reflected in the window? He “claims” that one else was in the house.. OR- there is a photo/statue(creepy as it looks) to the right of the photographer located in just the right place to be reflected.

And if it IS an “un-retouched photo”, how often is a black strip and a zoom bubble part of an unedited photo?

9. Mnynames

09/04/2013 at 11:06 AM

This is, regretably, an easy one to disprove. The “ghost” is a reflection of the back of her head in the window. in the enhanced photo, you can even see the person who took the picture, and what I presume is the doorframe to the room.

10. Kevin

09/04/2013 at 12:38 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how many people attempt to debunk evidence of the paranormal just because they have never witnessed it with their own eyes. That is not to say that some of it is faked. Which it is. Some of it is a play of light. I will grant you that. But I personally and my brother have seen a full body apparition, both completely awake, no drugs or chemicals and no delusion. No we did not get a picture because we were kids and did not have a camera available. This was back in the early 1970′s. This entity was illuminated from within and not like a see through ghost as one would think of it. You can argue all you want. But paranormal simply means beyond normal. And who is to judge all of the encounters that are indeed real. No one here I can assure you. Just because you don’t see it does not mean that it is not there to see. I wish I had had a camera at the time. Not sure how it would have turned out but we both still remember the event to this day. Clear as a bell. You never forget something like that. It becomes engraved in your tabula rasa. Or chalkboard of the mind for all of you non – psych students.

• Mike Franklin

09/04/2013 at 6:02 PM

Kevin – “It never ceases to amaze me how many people attempt to debunk evidence of the paranormal just because they have never witnessed it with their own eyes

The web is chock full of photoshop desk’perts. Most assume that since they think that they could produce a fake, then the next person already has.

The world is a fascinating place. Dismissing things out of hand can often cause one to miss quite a lot :)

• George

10/07/2013 at 10:02 PM

The early 70s?, interesting.

11. Bonnie Jo Davis

09/04/2013 at 2:34 PM

It’s a fake. I have seen that exact little girl as a statue in more than one garden. I recognized it right away.

12. Ghostowl

09/04/2013 at 5:29 PM

Looks like the reflection of a cherub statue in the window to me.

• Mike

09/05/2013 at 8:10 AM

My first thought exactly. I just saw this one at our local landscape supply business.

13. Brian Parsons

09/04/2013 at 7:49 PM

So, a photo “expert” can’t explain the photo which automatically means it’s a “real” ghost? There remains so many potential explanations and leaning toward a ghost is silly without digging deeper into the original photo, camera and setting. Never mind that ghosts are not tangible beings, never mind there are many apps to create images like this, never mind there is a little thing called Pepper’s ghost…

14. Aaron

09/04/2013 at 8:35 PM

I just see Archie Bunker’s kitchen.

the empty pizza boxes on the trash can are very intriguing though.

15. Mark

09/05/2013 at 8:33 AM

I think it is a reflection of a little doll standing off the the side. The face looks a bit to perfect for me.

16. Tamlin

09/05/2013 at 10:29 AM

While I would love to have a good solid photo of a ghost appear, I am pretty sure this is a reflection of a picture. I’ve seen this ‘ghost’ before someplace on canvas but haven’t found the canvas yet. I’ve only eliminated Les Mis, but I am sure I’ve seen it. It might be fun to see who can find the picture.

17. Jf

09/05/2013 at 12:38 PM

Looks like a garden statue to me.

18. Tim Whitcher

09/06/2013 at 8:50 PM

It’s the reflection of the back of her head.

19. Pingback: Man Discovers Phantom in Facebook Photo | Dateline Zero

20. Nyx

09/07/2013 at 10:43 PM

Don’t blink…

21. George

09/08/2013 at 10:19 PM

I have seen a picture just like this and was thinking it was a ghost. I ended up be a LCD television on the wall on. The opposite side of room in the reflection. Look at the border around the TV screen,

Sorry not a ghost,

22. Pingback: Photobombed By A Ghost… | This is my blog

23. Enigma

09/17/2013 at 10:40 AM

Interesting. To dismiss the photo based on a layman’s assessment, without adequate statistical information and scientfic investigation, is meaningless. As is, it raises more questions.

24. Bill

09/23/2013 at 8:04 AM

I think the real mystery here is why someone would want that yellow in a room of their house.

25. Bryan Davis

09/23/2013 at 5:12 PM

Look very close, the little girl is also holding a schnawzer type dog as well.

26. N

10/08/2013 at 2:31 AM

It could be very much a real photo. It does indeed look like a girl in that photo. If indeed they were the only 2 people in the house as they claim, it could not be a reflection from someone inside the house. However, there is also something called “matrixing” That means this: when the brain sees an image that it is trying to process and it can’t, it will form an image of that which the brain thinks it should be, whichever comes close to it. It’s a bit hard to explain though LOL

27. bob@aol.com

10/10/2013 at 10:19 PM

Yea the window frame looks the same so it must be real… Unless they did a copy paste type of thing.

28. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 | Anomaly Archives

29. Pingback: Anomaly Archives eNews – September 2013 « The Elfis Network

30. penky

10/24/2013 at 3:10 PM

hey whats up ? i love this website but its dead for some weeks ! :( c´mon! :D

31. Matthew

10/27/2013 at 7:38 AM

“Real” doesn’t automatically mean “ghost”. I’m sure the camera expert already believes in ghosts and his conclusion is a simple matter of confirmation bias. I bet a scientist or a better camera expert could have provided a better, plausible explanation for the image – not that many of you who believe in ghosts would accept alternative explanations when presented with them, but those explanations exist. I’ve seen ghosts, and I don’t believe in them because I was provided with a scientific explanation for why I saw my “ghosts”.

32. JOKER

10/27/2013 at 1:31 PM

MWHAHAHAHAHAHA IM A GHOST AND IM GONNA SPOOK YOU GUYS THIS HALLOWEEN SO U BETTER GIMME SOME CANDIES OR IMA GO SPOOKY ON YA’LL MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOO I KNOW WHAT YA’LL DID LAST WINTER OOPS I MEAN SUMMER XD.

33. Amy

11/10/2013 at 12:20 PM

I don’t trust “ghost” photos that involve glass (windows, mirrors, etc). It’s just too likely that it’s a refection. In this photo, there are even what looks like two glass windows, one on the outside door and one on the mudroom door. This could be an indirect reflection of someone standing outside the house, or in another room. Glass also has a way of warping over time and sometimes it makes images that our mind can “matrix” into a face. Too much glass to be real.

34. Christina

11/10/2013 at 5:44 PM

Too many fakes have ruined it for me. I now no longer give the photographer the benefit of the doubt nor do I put them in the “innocent til proven guilty” category. It is now their responsibility to prove to me that this is real. Sorry but data ( some call it evidence) that proves the paranormal exists has to be looked at with doubt first. If it can withstand scrutiny, well then maybe there is something to it.

35. mimi

01/24/2014 at 11:20 PM

its a painting in a frame sitting on a char or stool or table. Its in a clear frame and is styled like an cheap oil painting

36. steven

01/26/2014 at 10:19 AM

there are 2 faces in the window

37. keith

07/08/2014 at 1:03 AM

whether that photo was real or not! its not my concern at all.. but for those who posted here i want to tell u this.. some unknown entities/creatures or even images of a ghosts appearing on photos are true.. cos i’ve experienced capturing it not once or twice or even trice..! and as a plus to my claims, i still have the photos with me! i had a photo captured on my bedroom and surprisingly saw ( first image ) a fat boy leaning on the cabinet while standing on top of a small drawer.. i was in a state of shock when i discover.. but me out of curiousity took a deeper look and studied every single detail that was in there and to my surprise found out that the said fat boy wasn’t alone.. they are actually 7 images in a single photo.. 3 on the mirror, 1 beside the fat boy, 2 on the drawer..! strange?! but its true! ive been living in this hause for almost 4yrs.. and ive heard a lot of stories about the hause but none of that stories ever made me blieved until i had photographed it.. at first i was in denial cos i really do not blieve in those until such time when my sister in law visited with her husband and a year old daughter.. i let them use my room for a night and the following morning asked them how were their sleep and they said ITS GOOD, ITS COLD AND SO COMFORTABLE IN THERE.. and i said 0K..! after lunch they left.. and that very evening they called and said they captured some strange images on that room, and me not knowing they took pictures in there too! so i asked them not to delete those photos i want to see for myself.. when i saw those pictures thats the only time that i admitted to myself that they were really there!!” why did i say so?! cos some of those i had captured bfore them were also in appearance of their self shot photos..the most interesting thing about it was they were the same images/creatures caught but on in different posistions, locations, moods and movements!!!

38. keith

07/08/2014 at 1:20 AM

if only there’s an expert reading this right now i would be glad to let you examine all these photos taken in my bedroom and pls do explain those images which were in there! hope science could do so much explanation on this.. cos honestly, i can’t afford to step in my room at all..! i am getting more afraid each and evry single day cos i only live here with my 7months old baby.. i can sense he sees something lurking around this hauz.. cos i often see him watching and following some unseen creatures..