Wither Iconoclast(s)? 2006-2014 RIP

hatA few days ago, the internet lost one of its finest voices for UFOlogy.

The UFO Iconoclast(s) began April 2006, beginning with scrutiny of Lonnie Zamora’s encounter at Socorro, unique UFO theories challenging the status quo of UFOlogy, religious aspects of the phenomenon. All the while slaughtering our sacred cows and provoking spirited discussion in the comments. A week ago, I was tickled to discover our site was mentioned by TUI while railing on lack of dignity and class in UFOlogy1.

In UFO circles, we get such things as this: “Who Forted?” – A punny site, maybe full of great material (I’ve never sought it out because of its obtuse title) but one that sacrifices dignity and good taste for a catchy sobriquet.

MAYBE?! Why I oughta…

Sad to say, I didn’t know about Rich Reynolds’s site until I started writing for The Anomalist. For nearly two and a half years, I found the Iconoclasts to be one of the more intelligent blogs contemplating flying saucers. As Rich made cogent points about the subject matter, he was usually vicious when it came to the community. If one could get past the unmitigated nastiness, there was a kernel of truth giving pause for reflection on the direction being taken in our field.

Some won’t miss him, as sentiments remain (rightfully) raw where their sister site the UFO Provocateur(s) wished death on Mac Tonnies2, and others, seven months before his death. Same probably goes for Roswell guru Kevin Randle who has been in The RRR Group’s sights of late with the Roswell Dream Team slide kerfuffle.

Unsourced theories abound, ranging from the blog being deleted in a fit of pique, the demise of the UFO Updates list, or discovering Tonnies is a celestial archon condemning Rich to be reborn as a yeti to relearn his ways.

The question I pose to you is simple: Are you lowering your Magonian flag to half mast, or sneering “Good riddance to bad rubbish?” Choose your poison: Facebook, Twitter, or the comments below. G’wan, I dare ya.

1. http://ufoprovo.blogspot.com/2014/01/ufology-lack-of-dignity-and-class.html

2. http://ufoprovo.blogspot.com/2008/03/deaths-will-clean-ufo-palate.html

Chris Savia
Editor and contributor at Who Forted?, also a news editor and the social media maven with The Anomalist. He first caught the weird bug as a kid, boning up on the legends behind the Jersey Devil, moving on to harder stuff like the occult, then forteana. Chris lives near the Pine Barrens with his wife, and six cats.
Chris Savia
Chris Savia

1. Marc Ferris

01/12/2014 at 8:34 PM

The UFO community is probably the meanest of the meta-psychology tribes. Back when I gave a crap about the phenomenon I attended a UFO Discussion meeting once a month (it was often hilarious, sometimes very weird), and after a year I was asked to leave.

My crime: Asking for evidence.

I fell into the “Nuts & Bolts” side of the UFO clan, you know, asking if there was any physical evidence, if so where is it?

The ugliest meeting we ever had was the night me and another guy had to gall to suggest the idea the aliens (if they were coming) might not have our best interest in mind. They flipped out.

The different UFO clans guard and defend their versions of reality fiercely, often working hard to undermine competing theorists. It is sad, and ugly.

2. Nige Palmer

01/13/2014 at 12:54 PM

I really can`t believe this!

UFO Iconoclasts was a generally outstanding blog, a beacon of intelligence and rationality in a sea of malodorous bilge. What on earth caused Rich to terminate it, apparently so peremptorily?

Thanks Chris for your article, though of of course those of us with more intelligent Ufological tastes knew already that something was amiss, though I`m sure that I was not alone in hoping that the blogs absence was only temporary. Please keep us informed of any further info you come across about the background to this tragedy, which on the face of it is quite perplexing. Thanks.

3. terry the censor

01/13/2014 at 3:06 PM

I shall miss it very much. I benefitted greatly from the perspectives of experienced UFO buffs who respected evidence over ideology.

I was a few days behind on the posts and so didn’t see Rich’s rationale for shutting down the blog — if he in fact posted one. But recently he did seem fed up with the triviality of both buffs and skeptics: fighting the same old battles in the comments section, using the same old lines, often veering off topic. That is my guess.

4. terry the censor

01/13/2014 at 3:17 PM

> their sister site the UFO Provocateur(s) wished death on Mac Tonnies

I just read “Death(s) will clean the UFO palate” and nowhere does it wish death on Tonnies. Such musings were reserved for the older generation of ufologists.

5. Terry Groff

01/14/2014 at 6:45 AM

Rich who? :-)

6. brownie

01/14/2014 at 2:41 PM

Chris Savia wrote: “Some won’t miss him, as sentiments remain (rightfully) raw where their sister site the UFO Provocateur(s) wished death on Mac Tonnies2, and others, seven months before his death.” – - -

That’s untrue. There were no death wishes upon Mac Tonnies.

As for Rich closing his blog, he had hinted at it awhile ago. Yet, perhaps it will resurface. As an example, I’m a longtime reader of another blog (metanoia – wellofhighstrangeness blogspot) whose author removes it – sometimes for months – then resurrects it…Currently that one’s down too.

~ Susan

7. Department47

01/15/2014 at 7:09 PM

Personally, I liked Rich Reynolds but we didn’t agree on much when it came to UFOs. He had an exasperating penchant for taking both sides of an argument, leaving you not knowing where he actually stood (and sometimes not knowing what point he was trying to make). I also fault him for foisting Anthony Bragalia on the UFO community, a writer who seems to be making a career of making mountains out of molehills.

8. Testy

01/16/2014 at 1:27 AM

Testing, 1, 2, 3. Is this mic on?

Oh, and Reynolds? Just another pathologically narcissistic sociopath and attention whore.

That is all.